"Triplet Paradox" involving a single one-way trip

• Thread starter mathyou9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Paradox
In summary, the conversation discusses the "triplet paradox," where one triplet stays at rest while the other two travel in opposite directions. The conversation then explores a scenario where three individuals, A, B, and C, are born at the same time in the same reference frame, but are separated by many light years. The question is posed about how B's age compares to A and C's when he reaches C's location. It is determined that from B's frame of reference, he will age less than A and C, but from A and C's frame of reference, B's clock will run slower. The concept of relativity of simultaneity is also discussed, and Minkowski diagrams are used to illustrate the concept.
mathyou9
The "triplet paradox" that comes up in my Googling and search results involve one triplet that stays at rest and the other two venture out and back again, but in opposite directions. Essentially two "twin paradoxes" occurring together.

But what about a scenario in which triplets A and B are together and triplet C is waiting at some far-off location many light years away [maybe not triplets, per se, but three individuals born at the same time in the same reference frame.] A and C remain at rest. Let's say B departs A at 0.8c heading toward C. Since A and C remain in the same reference frame, albeit many light years apart, obviously they share simultaneity planes and age "together at the same rate," right? But how does B's age compare to A and C when he gets to C's location?

---

I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Maybe I just need some very-detailed Minkowski diagrams (I really don't know.) Thanks. :-)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If A B & C are the same age, and [at rest] in the same inertial frame, and B travels between A & C at relativistic speed, B will have aged much less than A & C have during the trip.

Last edited:
Likes mathyou9
Ahhh, I got it now. My hangup was that each frame measures clocks in the other frame as going slow. I completely forgot (and I don't know why) to take into account B's "slanted" simultaneity plane relative to A & C's simultaneity plane. The other clock may run slow to you (and yours to it) but *when* your measurement starts and ends *in* the other frame is the key. Brainfart. :-)

[edited for clarity.]

Last edited:
mathyou9 said:
The "triplet paradox" that comes up in my Googling and search results involve one triplet that stays at rest and the other two venture out and back again, but in opposite directions. Essentially two "twin paradoxes" occurring together.

But what about a scenario in which triplets A and B are together and triplet C is waiting at some far-off location many light years away [maybe not triplets, per se, but three individuals born at the same time in the same reference frame.] A and C remain at rest. Let's say B departs A at 0.8c heading toward C. Since A and C remain in the same reference frame, albeit many light years apart, obviously they share simultaneity planes and age "together at the same rate," right? But how does B's age compare to A and C when he gets to C's location?

---

I'm not sure what I'm missing, but I can't seem to wrap my head around it. Maybe I just need some very-detailed Minkowski diagrams (I really don't know.) Thanks. :-)
In the rest frame of A and C, B's clock runs at 60% of the coordinate time. If we assume that A and C are separated by 4 light years, it will take B 5 years of coordinate time to make the trip but his clock will show 3 years of elapsed time:

Triplets50.PNG

Likes mathyou9 and 1977ub
ghwellsjr said:
In the rest frame of A and C, B's clock runs at 60% of the coordinate time. If we assume that A and C are separated by 4 light years, it will take B 5 years of coordinate time to make the trip but his clock will show 3 years of elapsed time:

I got myself (over)thinking this. Since the scenario involves one-way trip(s), symmetry between both frames of reference remains intact. So from B's frame of reference, he's the rest frame and A and C are the ones moving with slower clocks. ?

Untitled.jpg
:

Almost. You've forgotten the relativity of simultaneity, which means that (in this frame) the red clock starts ticking well before the traveller starts out, and finishes when he gets there. The blue clock starts ticking when the traveller sets out, but doesn't finish ticking until well after the traveller has arrived. That's how they manage to fit in six slow ticks - they either start early or finish late.

Likes mathyou9
Ahhh, yes! Like this, right?
Untitled.jpg

I totally understand simultaneity planes, but not seeing it in a proper Minkowski diagram, I guess I keep giving myself brainfarts. Haha! Thanks for being the "Gas X" for my brain. :-)

mathyou9 said:
I got myself (over)thinking this. Since the scenario involves one-way trip(s), symmetry between both frames of reference remains intact. So from B's frame of reference, he's the rest frame and A and C are the ones moving with slower clocks. ?

View attachment 83424 :
There's a couple things wrong with your diagram. First, you've got black B aging 5 years when he actually ages 3 years and second, you have A and C aging only 3 years when you should show them aging 5 years:

Triplets51.PNG

mathyou9 said:
Ahhh, yes! Like this, right?
View attachment 83425
I totally understand simultaneity planes, but not seeing it in a proper Minkowski diagram, I guess I keep giving myself brainfarts. Haha! Thanks for being the "Gas X" for my brain. :-)
Again - almost. If you look at the red and blue tick marks in ghwellsjr's version of the diagram you'll see that they are considerably further apart than yours. Yours actually tick at the same rate as the black clock - George's tick slower.

Likes mathyou9
Yeah...I made my diagram using MS Paint. But you can rest assured I envisioned ghwellsjr's diagram as I made mine. :-)

mathyou9 said:
Yeah...I made my diagram using MS Paint. But you can rest assured I envisioned ghwellsjr's diagram as I made mine. :-)
You can avoid mistakes by using the Lorentz Transformation equations to get from one diagram to the next. You don't have to transform the coordinates of all the dots since equally spaced dots along one worldline will be equally spaced along their transformed worldline. And it helps to pick dots that evaluate to integers like the two dots at the intersections and the dots on the blue and red worldlines that are three dots away from the intersections. I recommend that you perform the evaluations on at least those four dots just to assure yourself that the process works and to give yourself confidence to try it that way the next time.

Likes mathyou9

Related to "Triplet Paradox" involving a single one-way trip

What is the Triplet Paradox?

The Triplet Paradox is a thought experiment in physics that involves the concept of time dilation, specifically in relation to the theory of special relativity. It explores the idea of time passing at different rates for observers in different frames of reference, leading to what appears to be a paradoxical situation.

How does the Triplet Paradox involve a single one-way trip?

In the original version of the Triplet Paradox, three identical twins are involved. One twin stays on Earth, while the other two each take a one-way trip at extremely high speeds in opposite directions, eventually returning to Earth. Due to the effects of time dilation, the twins who travel will have aged less than the twin who stayed on Earth, leading to a paradox of how they can all be the same age when they reunite.

What is the explanation for the Triplet Paradox?

The explanation for the Triplet Paradox lies in the theory of special relativity. According to this theory, time and space are relative and can be affected by factors such as speed and gravity. In the case of the Triplet Paradox, the twins who travel experience time passing at a slower rate due to their high speeds, causing them to age less than the twin who stayed on Earth. This phenomenon is known as time dilation.

Can the Triplet Paradox be proven or observed in real life?

The Triplet Paradox is a thought experiment and cannot be proven or observed in real life. However, the effects of time dilation have been observed and verified through experiments involving high-speed particles and atomic clocks. This provides evidence for the validity of the theory of special relativity and the concept of time dilation.

Are there any real-life applications or implications of the Triplet Paradox?

While the Triplet Paradox itself cannot be applied in real life, the theory of special relativity and the concept of time dilation have important implications in many areas of modern technology, such as GPS systems, particle accelerators, and even space travel. Understanding these concepts is crucial in accurately measuring and predicting the behavior of objects moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields.