Triple Scalar Product and Torque

In summary, the conversation discusses the triple scalar product and torque example from Boas' Mathematical Methods in the physical sciences book. The example involves a vector on the z axis pointing in the positive direction, another vector pointing in positive x, y, and z direction, and a third vector pointing downward in the z direction and positive in the x and y direction. The conversation focuses on understanding the calculation of torque, which is xF_y - yF_x according to the elementary definition. It also mentions the scalar triple product and the vector product, explaining that the order of the vectors affects the sign of the product. The conversation also clarifies that the vector product is not commutative and provides a simplified example to illustrate the calculation.
Herricane

Homework Statement

I am working through Boas' Mathematical Methods in the physical sciences book and I don't understand the triple scalar product and torque example.

k [dot] (r X F) = 0 0 1 = xF_y - yF_x
x y z
F_x F_y F_z

k is on the z axis and points in the positive direction. r points in the positive x y and z direction. F points downward in the z direction and it is positive in the x and y direction.

She says "the x and y components of the force can be seen better if we draw them in the (x,y) plane. The torque about the z-axis produced by F_x and F_y is xF_y - yF_x by the elementary definition of torque."

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that torque is rFsin theta but I don't understand why it isn't xF_x and yF_y
I don't understand why she is subtracting yF_x from xF_y. They are not negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Herricane said:
I don't understand why she is subtracting yF_x from xF_y. They are not negative.

It is scalar triple product instead of "triple scalar product".
The vector product or cross product is a vector, and its scalar product with a vector is scalar.

The vector product is defined in such way that the product of identical vectors is zero, and it is not commutative, changing the order of the vectors will change the sign of the product. It is easier to understand the way the cross product is calculated if you learn the vector product of the unit vectors along the axes x, y, z: i, j, k.

ixi=jxj=kxk=0,

ixj=k, jxk=i, kxi=j,

and all products with opposite order are of opposite sign.

Two vectors, a and b are

a=axi+ayj+azk
and
b=bxi+byj+bzk,

determine their cross product axb. You need to watch the order of the unit vectors when multiplying them.

I show it in the simpler case, when az=0, bz=0.

axb={axi+ayj}x{bxi+byj}=

{(axbx)(ixi)+(axby)(ixj)+(aybx)(jxi)+(ayby(jxj)=
(axby-aybx)k,

as ixi=jxj=0 and ixj=k, jxi=-k

ehild

Related to Triple Scalar Product and Torque

1. What is the triple scalar product?

The triple scalar product, also known as the scalar triple product, is a mathematical operation that is used to find the volume of a parallelepiped formed by three vectors. It is represented by the symbol (a x b) · c and can be calculated by taking the dot product of two vectors (a and b) and then taking the dot product of the resulting vector with a third vector (c).

2. What is the significance of the triple scalar product in physics?

In physics, the triple scalar product is used to calculate the torque, or rotational force, on an object. It is also used in the calculation of work done by a force, as well as in determining the orientation of a rigid body in three-dimensional space.

3. How is the triple scalar product related to torque?

The triple scalar product is directly related to torque, as it is used to calculate the magnitude of the torque vector. The magnitude of the torque vector is equal to the cross product of the position vector and the force vector, which can be represented using the triple scalar product formula.

4. Can the triple scalar product be negative?

Yes, the triple scalar product can be negative. The sign of the triple scalar product depends on the orientation of the three vectors involved. If the vectors are arranged in a clockwise order, the triple scalar product will be negative, and if they are arranged in a counterclockwise order, the triple scalar product will be positive.

5. Are there any practical applications of the triple scalar product?

Yes, there are several practical applications of the triple scalar product. It is used in physics, engineering, and computer graphics to calculate torque, work, and orientation of objects. It is also used in calculating the volume of a parallelepiped, which has applications in fluid mechanics and structural engineering.