Why do calculators give a math error for sqrt(-1 * 1)?

• Thread starter SSan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explain
In summary, when attempting to perform the calculation sqrt(-1 * 1), a math error or infinity may appear depending on the calculator used. This is because the calculator is likely set to real mode, which does not recognize imaginary numbers. The square root of a negative number does not have a real number solution, which is why the calculator gives an error. To get the correct answer, the calculator should be set to complex format.
SSan
When I try to do :

sqrt(-1 * 1)

I come up with a Math Error or Infinity(varying on the caclulator used).

Explinations? :confused:

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The calculator is likely set for real mode. The calculation you're performing has i for an answer, and i is not a real number. Look for options with your calculator to give you a+bi output.

Good luck

Think about what the square root means. It's the answer to the question, "what do I have to multiply by itself to get to this number?" The square root of nine is the number that, when multiplied by itself, gives you nine - that number is three.

What about the square root of negative nine? Can you think of any number that, when multiplied by itself, gives you negative nine? Positive three times positive three is positive nine, that doesn't work. Negative three times negative three is still positive nine (remember, multiplying two negative numbers gives you a positive result.) There isn't any real number that you can multiply by itself and arrive at negative nine.

As a matter of fact, that's true for the square root of any negative number. Furthermore, it's true for any even root of any negative number. Your calculator is giving you an error because it's only designed or configured to display real numbers, and there aren't any real numbers that answer the question, "what is the square root of negative one?"

This reminds me of the following :

1 = SQRT(1) = SQRT(-1*-1) = SQRT(-1)*SQRT(-1) = SQR(i) = -1

Kinda clever for a couple of seconds, until you look at the first step again.

sqrt

sqrt(-1) = i
sqrt(-4) = 2 i
sqrt(-6) = 2.44948974 i

and so on...
Any calculator under TI-89 will give you an "nonreal ans" because they are not programmed to recongnized imaginary numbers unless otherwise told to.

killerinstinct said:
Any calculator under TI-89 will give you an "nonreal ans" because they are not programmed to recongnized imaginary numbers unless otherwise told to.

I tried my TI-89 and it gives me an error when I try to do the Sqrt(-x); x being any numerical digit. Do you know of a way to remedy this, or is the TI-89 also a calculator which won't return i for an answer?

catch.yossarian said:
I tried my TI-89 and it gives me an error when I try to do the Sqrt(-x); x being any numerical digit. Do you know of a way to remedy this, or is the TI-89 also a calculator which won't return i for an answer?

Your calculator should have a MODE button. If you press it a list of options should come up, and one of them should be "complex format". If it's set to "real" then complex numbers will not work.

thats odd .. why do they set the option in the calculator to that if most people will use complex numbers such as i?

1. What is the purpose of this explanation?

The purpose of an explanation is to provide understanding and clarity on a topic or concept. It should break down complex ideas into simpler terms and provide context and examples to aid in comprehension.

2. Who is the intended audience for this explanation?

The intended audience for an explanation can vary depending on the subject matter and the context in which it is being presented. It could be for students, colleagues, or the general public. The level of detail and complexity of the explanation may also differ depending on the audience.

3. How should I approach understanding this explanation?

To understand an explanation, it is important to actively engage with the material. This can include taking notes, asking questions, and seeking additional resources for further clarification. It is also helpful to break down the information into smaller chunks and connect it to prior knowledge or real-life examples.

4. Why is this explanation important?

An explanation is important because it allows us to expand our knowledge and understanding of the world around us. It helps us make sense of complex ideas and phenomena, and can also lead to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of study.

5. How can I tell if an explanation is accurate?

The accuracy of an explanation can be evaluated by checking the sources and credentials of the person providing the information. It is also helpful to consult multiple sources and compare the information provided. If the explanation is based on scientific findings, it should be supported by evidence and data. Asking questions and critically thinking about the information presented can also help determine its accuracy.