Triple Integrals Over General Regions

I apologize for the confusion, I didn't realize there was a conversation going on between me and cookie monster.In summary, to find the equation of the plane in which the region E lies below, you can define two vectors between points A(1,0,0), B(0,2,0), and C(0,0,3) and take the cross product of these two vectors to get the normal vector. Then use the equation n_x(x-x_0) + n_y(y-y_0) + n_z(z-z_0)=0 to describe the plane, which in this case is 6x+3y+2z=6.
wubie
Hello,

First I will post my question:

Evaluate the triple integral:

Triple integral sub E of xy dV, where E is the solid tetrahedron with vertices (0,0,0) , (1,0,0) , (0,2,0) , (0,0,3)

It has been quite a while since my last calculus course so I don't remember everything. Now here is MY question: How do I find the equation of the plane in which the region E lies below?

I know from the solution manual that the E is the region that lies below the plane

2z + 6x + 3y = 6

How do I find that out?

I found three separate equations for each plane - xy, yz, xz.

6 = 2z + 6x, 6 = 2z + 3x, 6 = 3y + 6x.

And I can see the relationship between all four planes. How do I come up with the final equation of the plane

2z + 6x + 3y = 6

I should know this. I just can't remember.

Any help is appreciated. Thankyou.

Physics news on Phys.org
Define two vectors between points A(1,0,0), B(0,2,0), and C(0,0,3). It doesn't matter which pair of points you use to make the vectors, as long as the vectors are different.

The cross product of these two vectors will be normal to the plane. Then the equation,
[tex]n_x(x-x_0) + n_y(y-y_0) + n_z(z-z_0)=0[/tex]
will describe the plane.

[tex]\boldsymbol{AB}=<1,-2,0>[/tex]
[tex]\boldsymbol{AC}=<1,0,-3>[/tex]
[tex]\boldsymbol{AB}\times\boldsymbol{AC}=<6,3,2>=\boldsymbol{n}[/tex]
[tex]6(x-1)+3y+2z=0[/tex]
[tex]6x+3y+2z=6[/tex]

cookiemonster

Thanks for the help cookie monster.

Related to Triple Integrals Over General Regions

1. What is a triple integral over general regions?

A triple integral over general regions is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to find the volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves integrating a function over a region in three-dimensional space.

2. How is a triple integral over general regions different from a regular triple integral?

A regular triple integral is used to find the volume of a solid bounded by three surfaces. In contrast, a triple integral over general regions can be used to find the volume of a solid bounded by any number of surfaces, as long as the region is well-defined and can be described using a set of equations or inequalities.

3. What are some common techniques for solving triple integrals over general regions?

Some common techniques for solving triple integrals over general regions include changing the order of integration, using symmetry, and using trigonometric or polar coordinates to simplify the integrand.

4. How does the choice of coordinate system affect the calculation of a triple integral over general regions?

The choice of coordinate system can greatly affect the complexity of the triple integral over general regions. For example, using polar or spherical coordinates can often simplify the integrand and make the calculation easier.

5. What are some real-world applications of triple integrals over general regions?

Triple integrals over general regions have various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, they can be used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional object, the mass of a solid with varying density, or the center of mass of a three-dimensional object.