Triple integral and Change of Variables

In summary, the problem is to find the triple integral of a complex equation over a solid region bounded by an ellipsoid. The suggested approach is to convert the integral to spherical form, but the problem becomes simpler if done in a clever way. The domain should be x^2/3 + y^2/5 + z^2/7 = 1 and the integral is ∫∫∫cos((35x^2 + 21y^2 + 15z^2)^(3/2))dV.
frogger832

Homework Statement

The solid region W is bounded by the ellipsoid x^2/3 + y^2/5 + z^2/7 = 1. Find the triple integral ∫∫∫cos((35x^2 + 21y^2 + 15z^2)^(3/2))dV.

Homework Equations

Domain: x^2/3 + y^2/5 + z^2/7 = 1

Integral: ∫∫∫cos((35x^2 + 21y^2 + 15z^2)^(3/2))dV

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted the integral to spherical but after that, I do not know where to go. I cannot get rid of the cosine and the whole equation just seems extremely complex.

Physics news on Phys.org
I converted the integral to spherical
How did you do that? If done in a clever way, I think the problem gets a lot simpler.

Your domain should have ##\leq 1##.

1. What is a triple integral?

A triple integral is an extension of the concept of a single and double integral in calculus. It is used to calculate the volume of a three-dimensional region in space by dividing it into infinitesimally small parts and summing their volumes.

2. How do you set up a triple integral?

To set up a triple integral, you need to determine the limits of integration for each variable (x, y, and z) based on the bounds of the three-dimensional region. Then, you need to identify the order of integration, which can be done by drawing a diagram or using the "right-hand rule" method. Finally, you need to determine the integrand, which is the function to be integrated.

3. What is the change of variables method in triple integrals?

The change of variables method in triple integrals is a technique used to simplify the calculation of a triple integral by transforming the original coordinate system to a new one. This is done by substituting the original variables with new variables in the integrand and adjusting the limits of integration accordingly.

4. When should the change of variables method be used in triple integrals?

The change of variables method should be used in triple integrals when the original coordinate system is difficult to work with or when the integrand involves complicated functions. In such cases, using a new coordinate system can make the calculation easier and more efficient.

5. What are some common substitutions used in the change of variables method for triple integrals?

Some common substitutions used in the change of variables method for triple integrals include polar, cylindrical, and spherical coordinates. These coordinate systems are particularly useful for computing integrals involving circular, cylindrical, or spherical regions respectively.