Trigonometry-ratios of angles

• Thread starter Celluhh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Angles
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between numerical answers of trigonometric functions and whether it is possible to work backwards to derive a formula. They also mention the use of the sum of two angles approach and the difficulty of using the general formula without understanding permutations and combinations. The conversation ends with a recommendation for an online website, wolframalpha, to help solve problems involving expressing trigonometric ratios in simpler forms.
Celluhh
is there a relation between the numerical answers of cos5A and cosA?

sin4A and sinA?

i want to work backwards, if it is possible. tried deriving a formula by myself, but couldnt.:(

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\sin na = {}^n{C_1}{\cos ^{n - 1}}\sin a - {}^n{C_3}{\cos ^{n - 3}}a{\sin ^3}a + {}^n{C_5}{\cos ^{n - 5}}a{\sin ^5}a... \\
\cos na = {\cos ^n}a - {}^n{C_2}{\cos ^{n - 2}}a{\sin ^2}a + {}^n{C_4}{\cos ^{n - 4}}a{\sin ^4}a... \\
\end{array}[/tex]

Where a is the angle and n an integer.

I think, you can use the sum of two angles approach

Sin4A = 2 Sin2A Cos2A
= 2 (2 SinA CosA) Cos2A
= 4 SinA CosA (Cos²A - Sin²A)
= 4 SinA CosA (1 - 2Sin²A)
= 4 CosA (SinA - 2 Sin³A)
= 4 √(1 - Sin²A)(SinA - 2 Sin³A)

Similar approach can be taken for other one.

Oh ok thank you !

What about for fractions ? For example sin1/3 x?

For fractions it's essentially not doable, except for n=2,3,4, because of the algebra involved.

Did you have a problem with my general formulae?

@studiot, no that's not it but it's hard to memorise it and it's not one of the formulas learned in school for
Now , so I can't exactly use it in my exam ! Thanks a lot though !

Um wait what is C1 ,C2 etc...

They are symbols for combination. Also written as C(n,1).
If you have not studied permutations, combinations, factorial yet, then you won't understand them.

Oh I see yep I'm only at the double angle formulae level ... And having problems with expressing cos4a or others in the form of simple trigo ratio eg. Cosa. Does anyone have any online website to recommend that solves this kind of problems ?

Have you ever heard of wolframalpha? I am not sure if I should post links in this forum, but you can google it.

These are the binomial coefficients also written

[tex]\left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
n \\
r \\
\end{array}} \right)[/tex]

They are normally studied before trigonometry.

Related to Trigonometry-ratios of angles

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of triangles and their relationships, specifically the ratios between the sides and angles of a triangle.

What are the three basic trigonometric ratios?

The three basic trigonometric ratios are sine, cosine, and tangent. Sine is the ratio of the length of the side opposite an angle to the length of the hypotenuse. Cosine is the ratio of the length of the side adjacent to an angle to the length of the hypotenuse. Tangent is the ratio of the length of the side opposite an angle to the length of the side adjacent to the angle.

How do you find the trigonometric ratios of an angle?

To find the trigonometric ratios of an angle, you can use a calculator or reference table, or you can use the following formulas: sine = opposite/hypotenuse, cosine = adjacent/hypotenuse, tangent = opposite/adjacent.

What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit, centered at the origin on a coordinate plane. It is used in trigonometry to understand the relationship between the trigonometric ratios and the coordinates of points on a circle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine of the angle, and the y-coordinate represents the sine of the angle.

What are some real-life applications of trigonometry?

Trigonometry has many real-life applications, including navigation, surveying, engineering, and astronomy. It is also used in fields such as physics, architecture, and computer graphics.