Are any subjects missing from PF?

• Thread starter N_Quire
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around potential additions or changes to the subject areas in a forum called PF. One person suggested adding a Medicine & Health forum, while another suggested posting medical topics in the "other science" section. The idea of a member photo gallery was also mentioned. Another person suggested changing the name of Theoretical Physics to Conceptual Physics or Soft Physics and requiring certain criteria for posting in each forum. The topic of Philosophy being abused on PF was also brought up, with some suggesting it should be moved to other sections. The potential addition of an Economics and Finance forum was also mentioned.
N_Quire
If I were going to add a new discussion forum to PF, it would be Medicine & Health. I'd love a place to talk about medical stuff, tips on health, how to improve my ailing back and offer advice I've picked up along the way.

If you were going to add a new subject area, what would it be?

Physics news on Phys.org
wasn't there going to be a member photo gallery? (or is that just for members day?)

yes there is something missing a post your own vilm/video section

Not to sound like a snob, but I think they should change the name of Theoretical Physics to Conceptual Physics. That way there would be two Physics forums -- one for members who want to talk shop with working equations and one for members who want to sip coffee and discuss physics Discovery Channel style.

Or better yet, change the names of Physics to Hard Physics and Theoretical Physics to Soft Physics and require that threads cannot be posted in Physics unless they involve equations or references to journal articles.

These actions would actually help the boards in the long run. More physics professionals would be attracted to post on the Hard Physics board, and members would automatically know not to post intense explanations on the Soft Physics board.

eNtRopY

Entropy, don't get me going. I think Philosophy is the most abused board on PF. Many of the questions would be better posted here or in God $ Religion or Pesudo-Science. Philosophy is a serious discipline and yet the philosophy theory is open to all manner of pet theories, idiosyncratic introspection and wacko ideas with not even one footprint in the tradition of the disicipline.

Such posters are interested in status, I suppose. They'd rather think they are posting a serious philosophy question than a wacko idea in pseudo-science.

Economics and Finance??

1. Are there any subjects that were not included in the experiment?

It is possible that some subjects were not included in the experiment due to various reasons such as exclusion criteria or recruitment difficulties. This information should be included in the methods section of the study report.

2. How can the missing subjects affect the validity of the results?

The missing subjects can potentially affect the validity of the results if they were not included randomly or if they have significantly different characteristics from the included subjects. This can introduce bias and limit the generalizability of the findings.

3. Is it common for studies to have missing subjects?

Yes, it is common for studies to have missing subjects. In fact, almost all studies have some degree of missing data. However, it is important for researchers to address and report the extent of missing data to accurately interpret the results.

4. How do researchers deal with missing subjects in their analysis?

There are several ways that researchers can handle missing subjects in their analysis, such as imputation methods or sensitivity analysis. Imputation involves replacing the missing data with estimated values, while sensitivity analysis examines how the results may change with different assumptions about the missing data.

5. Can the missing subjects be a source of bias in the study?

Yes, the missing subjects can potentially introduce bias in the study if they were not included randomly or if they have significantly different characteristics from the included subjects. It is important for researchers to acknowledge and address potential biases in their interpretation of the results.