Trigonometry Help: Understanding 1/2^2 in Terms of Sine, Cosine, and Tangent

In summary, the individual is seeking to write out the value of 1/2^(1/2) in terms of sine, cosine, tangent, and similar functions. They correctly note that this is equivalent to a 45-degree angle with a cosine and sine value of 1/sqrt(2) and a tangent value of 1. They also mention that there are multiple values of theta that satisfy this result and provide an approximate value for one of them. They clarify that they did mean 0.5^0.5 and not 1/2^2, and the value of 0.71 something is equivalent to 1/sqrt(2).
seasnake
Okay, I must admit, my trigonometry is rather awful...

anyway, I would like to write out what 1 / 2^2 is equal to in terms of sine, cosine, tangent, and the like

is the following correct, or how do I write it correctly (or what would be the correct figures for 0.5^0.5):

0.5^0.5 = a 45-degree angle = cos (45) = sin (45) = a tangent of 1

Mathematics news on Phys.org
seasnake said:
is the following correct, or how do I write it correctly (or what would be the correct figures for 0.5^0.5):

0.5^0.5 = a 45-degree angle = cos (45) = sin (45) = a tangent of 1

Yes this is correct. What you are looking for is a value [itex]\theta[/itex] where
[tex]sin(\theta)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex]
And yes, you correctly noted that the isosceles right-angled triangle has adjacent and opposite sides (to the angle [itex]\theta[/itex]) of value 1 and hypotenuse of value [itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex].

seasnake said:
anyway, I would like to write out what 1 / 2^2 is equal to in terms of sine, cosine, tangent, and the like
Did you mean 1/2^(1/2)? If you actually meant 1/4 then you won't have a 'nice' simple value for [itex]\theta[/itex]. Don't worry, this isn't uncommon.

The best answer you can give for [itex]\theta[/itex] to
[tex]sin(\theta)=\frac{1}{4}[/tex]

Is: [tex]\theta=arcsin(\frac{1}{4})\approx 14.48^o[/tex]

this answer is just an acute angle, and I'm sure you're aware that there are more (actually, infinite) values of [itex]\theta[/itex] that satisfy this result? :smile:

thanks... but I did mean exactly what I wrote 0.5^0.5, which equates to a value around .71something or other

Yeah I thought so. It just put me off when you wrote:
seasnake said:
I would like to write out what 1 / 2^2 is equal to

and the value .71 something IS [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/tex] and isn't 1/2^2 :wink:

Related to Trigonometry Help: Understanding 1/2^2 in Terms of Sine, Cosine, and Tangent

1. What is Trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships and properties of triangles and the angles within them. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy.

2. Why is Trigonometry important?

Trigonometry is important because it helps us understand and solve real-world problems involving angles and distances. It is essential in fields such as navigation, surveying, and construction. It also plays a crucial role in various branches of science including physics, astronomy, and engineering.

3. What are the basic concepts in Trigonometry?

The basic concepts in Trigonometry include angles, right triangles, trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent), and the Pythagorean theorem. These concepts are used to find missing sides and angles of a triangle and to solve various trigonometric equations and problems.

4. How can I improve my Trigonometry skills?

To improve your Trigonometry skills, it is important to practice regularly and understand the basic concepts thoroughly. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources such as practice problems, videos, and interactive games to strengthen your understanding of Trigonometry.

5. What are some common applications of Trigonometry?

Trigonometry has many applications in the real world, such as calculating distances and heights, determining the sizes and angles of objects, and predicting the movement of objects. It is used in fields such as navigation, architecture, engineering, astronomy, and physics.