What causes the GHz of my computer to decrease?

In summary, there may be various reasons for a computer's clock speed to decrease, such as faulty hardware or software issues. It is recommended to check the fan and power supply, run a benchmark program, and reinstall the operating system if needed. Additionally, for laptops, beware of Intel's speedstep program which can reduce the clock speed for battery conservation. To view the clock speed, go to control panel -> administrative tools -> computer management -> system information -> system summary. However, this method may not always provide accurate information due to potential inaccuracies in the data.
Registered
My computer is (supposed to be) 1.8GHz, a few weeks ago when I viewed the information in "My Computer" it said I had 1.46 GHz.. and a few days ago it fell to 1.10GHz, and hasn't changed since.

What causes the GHz of my computer to decrease? How can I fix it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
I've heard of spyware. I've heard of bloatware. I've heard of vaporware. And I've heard of crapware. Now I can add FUDware to the list. You obviously need to buy a new computer, make sure you have authentic windows from Microsoft preinstalled on your new comp http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/howtotell/

Seriously though have you noticed the speed of the computer go down? Not that this will really tell you anything because windows rot will slow down the computer anyway. I think the processor will only physicsally slow down if it gets over heated or underpowered. The problem is more than likely some less than scientific method that the wizards at microsoft came up with to gauge the clock speed of the processor. I'd check the fan on the CPU and the power supply and if that looks fine, send MS hate mail.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. More then likely it is something buggy that is reading your cpu speed.

What you can do is run a benchmark program and compare the results to people with similar computer setups.

Also, seems like it should tell you your cpu speed during the boot-up sequence. I'd check here. Maybe you can find an aftermarket piece of software to keep you informed properly.

What version of windows you using?

Have you upgraded to the most recent update for that version?

Another thing to point out is that OS's become corrupt over time. I know that I reinstall windows about 2-3 times a year. The way to do this with little pain is keep all your important info on a completely separate harddrive. This way you can simply reformat the c: drive and install again. I can have windows installed in a matter of minutes, depending on computer speed and such.

Over time, especially if you do not shutdown properly once in a while, you will lose valuable info. Plus installing/uninstalling programs can make a mess of your registry, which over time, makes windows and your computer have a brain fart.

Ok, I found this http://www.glideunderground.com/articles/052999/rdtsc.asp [Broken] . If you click on the screenshot of this guys little program you download a .zip file that's got a program in it to gauge the clock speed. I know this way should work, I've used it before in linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
All of the advice here is good, but let me just add:

If you are using a laptop, beware of speedstep. Speedstep is Intel's clock-reducing program, designed to conserve battery life in laptops running on battery.

If you are not using a laptop, check bios settings for weird info, like odd power settings for the processor, etc.

Odd problem tho...never seen it before. Course, I don't often re-check my CPU speed either :wink:

Originally posted by Registered
My computer is (supposed to be) 1.8GHz, a few weeks ago when I viewed the information in "My Computer" it said I had 1.46 GHz.. and a few days ago it fell to 1.10GHz, and hasn't changed since.

What causes the GHz of my computer to decrease? How can I fix it?
Where exactly are you looking? There isn't anything in "My Computer" (unless you dig really deep) that will tell you the clock speed of your computer. You sure you aren't looking at your hard drive space?

To view your clock speed look in control panel->administrative tools->Computer management->System Information->System Summary.

Originally posted by russ_watters
Where exactly are you looking? There isn't anything in "My Computer" (unless you dig really deep) that will tell you the clock speed of your computer. You sure you aren't looking at your hard drive space?

To view your clock speed look in control panel->administrative tools->Computer management->System Information->System Summary.
I can't follow the above procedure. I get lost at system information. I do however see my processor speed when I go to My Computer (ie, right click and choose Properties). I have a similar "problem," although I'd rather not think of it like that. My speed will read either 1.79GHz or 1.05GHz in a predictable fashion. It alternates! Every other time I check, it is the same figure. I assumed it wasn't actually a measurement, but just some read out typed in by whoever made my computer. It is supposed to be 1.8GHz. The program given above reads well the speed of the computer I'm on now. I'll give it a shot on my other computer and see what happens.

Your correct in your method Stephen. Thats the short cut. I think the way russ mentioned gives a bit more detailed info.

Just as an example of how unreliable the data can be where your looking, the computer I'm currently sitting at tells me I have 127.00 MB of ram.

First time I've ever noticed that, on any pc.

Its like, MS is the Ford of OS's.

hey i checkd and my ram is only 504...dose taht even exist

Well...if you have a video card on-board then it could take some memory from system memory...
Do you have a pentium or athlon xp ?

Originally posted by The Grimmus
hey i checkd and my ram is only 504...dose taht even exist
Well...if you have a video card on-board then it could take some memory from system memory...
Yep. It is likely that you have 512 with 8 shared with video, leaving 504 for system ram.

1. Why does the GHz of my computer decrease over time?

There are several reasons why the GHz of your computer may decrease over time. One common reason is that the computer's processor may become outdated and unable to handle newer, more demanding software and applications. Additionally, dust and debris can build up inside the computer, causing it to overheat and slow down. Finally, the computer's hardware may simply wear out over time, resulting in a decrease in performance.

2. Can software updates affect the GHz of my computer?

Yes, software updates can have an impact on the GHz of your computer. As software becomes more advanced and requires more processing power, your computer's GHz may not be able to keep up. In some cases, software updates may also cause conflicts or issues with other programs, resulting in a decrease in performance.

3. Does the amount of RAM affect the GHz of my computer?

The amount of RAM in your computer does not directly affect its GHz. However, having more RAM can help your computer run more smoothly and efficiently, which can indirectly improve its performance and speed.

4. Can viruses or malware cause a decrease in GHz?

Yes, viruses and malware can cause a decrease in your computer's GHz. These malicious programs can use up your computer's resources and slow down its performance. It is important to regularly scan your computer for viruses and malware and take steps to prevent them from infecting your system.

5. Is it possible to increase the GHz of my computer?

In some cases, it may be possible to increase the GHz of your computer. This can be done by upgrading your processor to a newer and faster model. However, this can be a complex and expensive process, and it is important to make sure that your computer's other components are compatible with the new processor before attempting an upgrade.