Remembering Galileo: The Little Spaceship That Could | PhysicsPost

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Galileo
In summary, the conversation discusses the increasing number of moons discovered around Jupiter, and how this is due to astronomers finding smaller and more eccentric moons. The website provided is recommended as a reliable source for keeping up to date with astronomical discoveries. The conversation also includes a compliment on the article being discussed.
With all that happened to Galileo on its mission to Jupiter, it becomes difficult not to personify it as The Little Spaceship That Could. For NASA’s Galileo spacecraft kept on going and going...

http://physicspost.com/articles.php?articleId=180 [Broken]

Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Feedback is welcome!

It's quantity of moons is increasing? What is that, like meteoroids? I learned of the x (however many, I don't recall) moons around Jupiter in school, so have they just started to disregard the new moons? Assuming there are new moons, that is.

Great read, I rated it on the 'in-page' rating system, scaramouche!

Originally posted by Nibles
It's quantity of moons is increasing? What is that, like meteoroids? I learned of the x (however many, I don't recall) moons around Jupiter in school, so have they just started to disregard the new moons? Assuming there are new moons, that is.

Nope, actually, it's just that astronomers are only now discovering the smaller & more eccentric (harder to find) moons. (i.e., the moons are not new to Jupiter...just newly discovered by us)

Same thing is going on for the other gas planets (discovering more small moons).

Your school is probably using an older source of information.

This site keeps up very well with all the recent discoveries...
http://www.seds.org/billa/tnp/" [Broken]

Originally posted by ranyart
Great read, I rated it on the 'in-page' rating system, scaramouche!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who was Galileo and why is he so important?

Galileo Galilei was an Italian astronomer, physicist, and mathematician who made significant contributions to our understanding of the universe. He is often referred to as the "father of modern science" due to his use of the scientific method and his discoveries, such as the phases of Venus and the four largest moons of Jupiter.

2. What contributions did Galileo make to the field of astronomy?

Galileo made many important contributions to the field of astronomy. He was the first to use a telescope to observe the stars and planets, and he discovered that the Milky Way was made up of countless stars. He also made groundbreaking discoveries about the phases of Venus, the moons of Jupiter, and the craters on the moon, all of which supported the heliocentric model of the solar system.

3. Why do we say "We'll miss you, Galileo"?

"We'll miss you, Galileo" is a phrase used to honor Galileo's legacy and acknowledge the impact he has had on the scientific community. It is also a reminder that his contributions to science continue to shape our understanding of the universe, even after his passing.

4. How did Galileo's work challenge the scientific beliefs of his time?

Galileo's work challenged the commonly held belief that the Earth was the center of the universe. By observing the moons of Jupiter and the phases of Venus, he provided evidence that supported the heliocentric model, in which the Sun is at the center of the solar system. This went against the widely accepted geocentric model, which placed the Earth at the center.

5. What is Galileo's lasting impact on science?

Galileo's lasting impact on science is immeasurable. His use of the scientific method and emphasis on empirical evidence revolutionized the way we approach scientific inquiry. His discoveries and theories have also paved the way for further advancements in astronomy and our understanding of the universe. He continues to be a source of inspiration for scientists and a symbol of the power of curiosity and critical thinking.