Trigonometric Product Challenge sin(π/m)sin(2π/m)sin(3π/m)⋯sin(m−1)π/m=m/2^(m−1)

In summary, the Trigonometric Product Challenge is a mathematical exercise that tests understanding of trigonometric functions and their relationships. To solve it, one must use product-to-sum and fundamental trigonometric identities. The desired result of the challenge is the value m/2^(m-1), which represents the product of all sine terms in the original expression. It can only be solved for positive integers greater than or equal to 2. The challenge has applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering, helping to solve equations and simplify expressions while improving understanding and skills in using trigonometric identities.
Greg
Gold Member
MHB
Prove that for $m=2,3,...$

$$\sin\frac{\pi}{m}\sin\frac{2\pi}{m}\sin\frac{3\pi}{m}\cdots\,\sin\frac{(m-1)\pi}{m}=\frac{m}{2^{m-1}}$$

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hint:

[sp]Consider the roots of $z^m=1$[/sp]

greg1313 said:
Hint:

[sp]Consider the roots of $z^m=1$[/sp]

we know $\sin \, nt = \frac{1}{2i}(e^{int} - e^{-int})=\frac{1}{2i}e^{-int}(e^{2int}-1) $
lettiing $t=\frac{\pi}{m}$ we have taking the product from n = to m-1 we get
$\prod_{n=1}^{m-1} sin \frac{n \pi}{m}= (\frac{1}{2i})^{m-1} e^{-i\sum_{n=1}^{m-1}\frac{n\pi}{m}}\prod_{n=1}^{m-1} (e^{2\frac{in\pi}{m}}-1) \cdots(1) $

Now $ e^{-i\sum_{n=1}^{m-1}\frac{n\pi}{m}} = e^\frac{-(m-1)(m)\pi\,i }{2m}= e^\frac{-(m-1)\pi\,i }{2}= (e^\frac{-\pi\,i}{2})^{(m-1)}= (-i)^{m-1}\cdots(2)$

from (1) and (2)
$\prod_{n=1}^{m-1} sin \frac{n \pi}{m}= (\frac{1}{2i})^{m-1} (-i)^{m-1}= (\frac{-1}{2})^{m-1} \prod_{n=1}^{m-1} (e^{2\frac{in\pi}{m}}-1)$
$= (\frac{1}{2})^{m-1} \prod_{n=1}^{m-1} (1- e^{2\frac{in\pi}{m}}) = (\frac{1}{2})^{m-1} \prod_{n=1}^{m-1} (1- w^n) \dots (3)$ where w is $m^{th}$ root of 1

now because w is $n^{th}$ root of 1 we have

$x^n-1 = \prod_{n=0}^{m-1} (x- w^n) = (x-1) \prod_{n=1}^{m-1} (x- w^n)\cdots(4)$
further $x^n-1 = (x-1) \sum_{n=0}^{m-1} x^n\cdots(5)$
so we have from (4) and (5)
$\prod_{n=1}^{m-1} (x- w^n) = \sum_{n=0}^{m-1} x^n$
putting x = 1 we get
$\prod_{n=1}^{m-1} (1- w^n) = \sum_{n=0}^{m-1} 1^n= m $

from (3) and above we get
$\prod_{n=1}^{m-1} \sin \frac{n \pi}{m} = \frac{m}{2^{m-1}}$

Related to Trigonometric Product Challenge sin(π/m)sin(2π/m)sin(3π/m)⋯sin(m−1)π/m=m/2^(m−1)

1. What is the purpose of the Trigonometric Product Challenge?

The Trigonometric Product Challenge is a mathematical exercise that aims to test one's understanding of trigonometric functions and their relationships. It also serves as a practice for solving complex trigonometric equations.

2. How do you solve the Trigonometric Product Challenge?

To solve the Trigonometric Product Challenge, one must use the product-to-sum identity and the fundamental trigonometric identities to simplify the expression. This will eventually lead to a simple equation that can be solved using basic algebraic techniques.

3. What is the significance of the value m/2^(m-1) in the Trigonometric Product Challenge?

The value m/2^(m-1) is the desired result of the Trigonometric Product Challenge. It represents the product of all the sine terms in the original expression, and its value can be determined using the product-to-sum identity. This value is important because it allows us to solve for the unknown variable, m.

4. Can the Trigonometric Product Challenge be solved for all values of m?

No, the Trigonometric Product Challenge can only be solved for certain values of m. Specifically, it can only be solved for positive integers that are greater than or equal to 2. This is because the product-to-sum identity only works for positive integer values of m.

5. What are the applications of the Trigonometric Product Challenge?

The Trigonometric Product Challenge has applications in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. It helps in solving trigonometric equations and simplifying complex trigonometric expressions, which are often encountered in these fields. It also improves one's understanding and skills in using trigonometric identities.