How to Calculate Tension and Acceleration in a System of Connected Masses?

In summary, the question asks for the acceleration of three masses (1.0 kg, 2.0 kg, and 3.0 kg) connected by ropes and a pulley. The tension in the ropes can be found by using the formula T = m*g, where m is the mass and g is the acceleration due to gravity. The tension in this case is equal to the weight of the 3.0 kg mass hanging off the edge of the table. Using the formula F = ma, the acceleration can then be calculated. There is no friction on the pulley and the table is assumed to be smooth. A diagram could help clarify the situation, but the explanation provided is enough to find the solution.
RickT
The question states:
Find the acceleration of the masses shown, given that m1 = 1.0 kg, m2 = 2.0 kg and m3 = 3.0 kg

m1 and m2 are on a table top connected by a rope, m3 is hanging off of the table connected to m2 by a rope and a pully.

I have drawn free body diagrams for all of the masses, and have tried

T1 - W3 = - M3 A
T1 = (3)(9.8) - (3)(A)

I am unsure on how to find the tension, it is all that I need to find the acceleration.

Can someone point me in the right direction on how to find the tension?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am assuming that there is no friction on the pulley and that the table is smooth etc. etc.

In this case, you have a 3.0 Kg mass hangin off a table, connected by a pullet to another 3.0 Kg mass. The tension is the same as the weight of the 3.0 Kg mass hanging off the edge. This is because every force has an equal and opposite reaction force. So in this case T = 3.0*g

So you are acceleration 6.0 Kg of mass with 3.0*g N of force, for this use F = ma to find the acceleration.

If I could draw a diagram I could make things a little clearer. Can you take it from here though?

That was exactly what I needed.

Thanks for the help!

Happy to help. :smile:

1. What is tension?

Tension is a force that occurs when an object is pulled or stretched. It can also be described as the resistance of an object to being pulled apart.

2. How is tension related to acceleration?

Tension and acceleration are directly proportional. This means that as tension increases, acceleration also increases. This is due to Newton's Second Law, which states that the force applied to an object is directly proportional to its acceleration.

3. Can tension affect an object's motion?

Yes, tension can affect an object's motion. If the tension force is greater than the object's weight, the object will accelerate in the direction of the tension force. If the tension force is less than the object's weight, the object will accelerate in the opposite direction.

4. How can tension be calculated?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = m x a, where T is tension, m is mass, and a is acceleration. This formula is based on Newton's Second Law and can be used to find the tension force in a given scenario.

5. What are some real-life examples of tension and acceleration?

One example is a person pulling a wagon. The tension in the rope connecting the person and the wagon will cause the wagon to accelerate. Another example is a car being pulled by a tow truck. The tension in the tow rope will cause the car to accelerate in the direction of the tow truck.