How do you make the curly L for the LaPlace transform in tex?

In summary, to type the curly L symbol for the LaPlace transform in TeX, use the command \mathcal{L} or \mathscr{L}. You can also change the font of the symbol by adding a font command. To align the symbol with other equations, use the command \mathrel{\mathop:}= or \mathrel{\mathop:\!\!=}. The main difference between \mathcal{L} and \mathscr{L} is the font they produce, with \mathcal{L} being more traditional and \mathscr{L} being more stylized. To add the symbol to an equation, use the command \mathscr{L} followed by the equation you want to transform
KillaMarcilla
The closest I've been able to come so far is just italicizing a normal L, but that's lame

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think I can get the version I like without installing extra fonts, but you could try one of these:

[tex]\mathfrak{L} \L \mathcal{L}[/tex]

you mean this £? if you do its hold alt and type 0163 on the numeric keypad then release alt should do it or alt-0163 for future reference

-Ty

1. How do I type the curly L symbol for the LaPlace transform in TeX?

To type the curly L symbol for the LaPlace transform in TeX, you can use the command \mathcal{L} or \mathscr{L} depending on the style you prefer. This will produce the curly L symbol in your TeX document.

2. Can I change the font of the curly L symbol in TeX?

Yes, you can change the font of the curly L symbol in TeX by using the command \mathcal{L} or \mathscr{L} followed by the font command. For example, \mathcal{\textbf{L}} will produce a bold version of the curly L symbol.

3. How do I align the curly L symbol with other equations in TeX?

To align the curly L symbol with other equations in TeX, you can use the command \mathrel{\mathop:}= or \mathrel{\mathop:\!\!=} depending on the alignment you want. This will align the curly L symbol with the equal sign in your equations.

4. What is the difference between \mathcal{L} and \mathscr{L} in TeX?

The main difference between \mathcal{L} and \mathscr{L} in TeX is the type of font they produce. \mathcal{L} will produce a more traditional and formal curly L symbol, while \mathscr{L} will produce a more stylized and cursive version of the curly L symbol.

5. How do I add the curly L symbol to an equation in TeX?

To add the curly L symbol to an equation in TeX, you can use the command \mathscr{L} followed by the equation you want to transform. For example, \mathscr{L}\{f(t)\} will produce the LaPlace transform of the function f(t) in your equation.