Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trigonometry Trigonometric Identity

suvadip

Feb 21, 2013
Can it be proved?
\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A}\right)\cos\left(\frac{A}{2}\right)\tan^{-1}\left[\cos \left(\frac{A}{2}\right)\right]=\frac{\pi^2-4A^2}{8}\)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Can it be proved?
\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A}\right)\cos\left(\frac{A}{2}\right)\tan^{-1}\left[\cos \left(\frac{A}{2}\right)\right]=\frac{\pi^2-4A^2}{8}\)
Hi suvadip, :)

This trigonometric identity is not valid. For example substituting \(A=\dfrac{\pi}{2}\) we get zero in the right hand side whereas \(-\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\tan^{-1}\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\neq 0\) on the right hand side.

suvadip

Feb 21, 2013
Hi suvadip, :)

This trigonometric identity is not valid. For example substituting \(A=\dfrac{\pi}{2}\) we get zero in the right hand side whereas \(-\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\tan^{-1}\dfrac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\neq 0\) on the right hand side.
Please look at the attached sheet. How to reach the final answer

Attachments

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Please look at the attached sheet. How to reach the final answer
Your attachment is not very clear and I cannot read it. If you can post a more clear attachment or write down the equations using LaTeX I would perhaps be able to help. :)

suvadip

Feb 21, 2013
Your attachment is not very clear and I cannot read it. If you can post a more clear attachment or write down the equations using LaTeX I would perhaps be able to help. :)

I have to prove
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{log(1+cosA cosx)}{cosx}dx=\frac{\pi^2-4A^2}{8}\)

I have arrived at

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dA}(I)=-sinA \int_0^1\frac{2}{1+cosA +(1-cos A)z^2}dz\) where I is the given integral. Am I correct so far and how to proceed at the answer from there? I have used the Leibnitz's rule for differentiation under the sign of integration.

Pranav

Nov 4, 2013
I have to prove
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{log(1+cosA cosx)}{cosx}dx=\frac{\pi^2-4A^2}{8}\)

I have arrived at

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dA}(I)=-sinA \int_0^1\frac{2}{1+cosA +(1-cos A)z^2}dz\)
How do you get this? After differentiating wrt A, I get,
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=\int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{-\sin A}{1+\cos A \cos x}dx$$
Can you integrate $\frac{dx}{1+a\cos x}$? Hint: Use $\cos x=\frac{1-\tan^2(x/2)}{1+\tan^2(x/2)}$.

EDIT: I see that you already tried that. Try this, it makes the algebra a bit easier to handle.
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=\int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{-\sin A}{1+\cos A \cos x}dx=\int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{-\sin A}{1+\cos A \sin x}dx$$
Use $\sin x=\frac{2\tan(x/2)}{1+\tan^2(x/2)}$ to get
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=-\sin A\int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{\sec^2(x/2)}{1+\tan^2(x/2)+2\cos A\tan(x/2)}dx$$
Use the substitution $\tan(x/2)=t$,
$$\Rightarrow \frac{dI}{dA}=-2\sin A\int_0^1 \frac{dt}{t^2+2t\cos A+1}=-2\sin A\int_0^1 \frac{dt}{(t+\cos A)^2+\sin^2A}$$
I suppose you can solve after this. :)

Last edited:

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
I have to prove
\(\displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2}\frac{\log(1+\cos A \cos x)}{\cos x}dx=\frac{\pi^2-4A^2}{8}\)

I have arrived at

\(\displaystyle \frac{d}{dA}(I)=-\sin A \int_0^1\frac{2}{1+\cos A +(1-\cos A)z^2}dz\) where I is the given integral. Am I correct so far and how to proceed at the answer from there? I have used the Leibnitz's rule for differentiation under the sign of integration.
You are correct so far (having differentiated under the integral sign and then made the substitution $z = \tan(x/2)$). The next step is to write this as $$\frac{d}{dA}(I)=\frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A} \int_0^1\frac{1}{z^2 +\frac{1+\cos A}{1-\cos A}}dz.$$ Now use the fact that \(\displaystyle \frac{1+\cos A}{1-\cos A} = \cot^2(A/2)\) to get $$\frac{d}{dA}(I)= \frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A} \int_0^1\frac{1}{z^2 +\cot^2(A/2)}dz = \frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A} \Bigl[\tan(A/2)\arctan\bigl(z\tan(A/2)\bigr)\Bigr]_0^1 = \frac{-2\sin A}{1-\cos A}\frac A2\tan(A/2)$$ (provided that $|A| < \pi$, so that $\arctan\bigl(\tan(A/2)\bigr) = A/2$). Using half-angle formulas again, you can write this as $$\frac{\frac{-2}{1+\tan^2(A/2)}}{1- \frac{1-\tan^2(A/2)}{1+\tan^2(A/2)}}A\tan(A/2) = \frac{-A\tan(A/2)}{\tan^2(A/2)} = -A\cot(A/2).$$ If that last expression was just $A$ (without the $\cot(A/2)$) then you could integrate it to get $-A^2/2$ which, together with the initial value $0$ when $A = \pi/2$, would give the formula that you are looking for.

But, unless I have made some silly mistake, that extra $\cot(A/2)$ is there, and that gives a function $-A\cot(A/2)$ that does not have an elementary integral.

Pranav

Nov 4, 2013
Hi Opalg! :)

I am not sure but I seem to be getting the final answer. If the integral I reached is evaluated further, I get
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=2\left(\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{\cos A}{\sin A}\right)-\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1+\cos A}{\sin A}\right)\right)$$
Using the formula for $\tan^{-1}a-\tan^{-1}b$, I simplified it to
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=-A$$
Please check if I did anything wrong, thank you. :)

Last edited:

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
Hi Opalg! :)

I am not sure but I seem to be getting the final answer. If the integral I reached is evaluated further, I get
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=2\left(\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{\cos A}{\sin A}\right)-\tan^{-1}\left(\frac{1+\cos A}{\sin A}\right)\right)$$
Using the formula for $\tan^{-1}a-\tan^{-1}b$, I simplified it to
$$\frac{dI}{dA}=-A$$
Please check if I did anything wrong, thank you. :)
I'm very willing to believe that you're right, but I'll leave it to the OP to sort out the details. (Wink)