Trigonometric identities hard question

This will give you (sin^2(b) + cos^2(b)) / (sin(b)cos(b)). Remember the Pythagorean identity, sin^2(b) + cos^2(b) = 1. Therefore, the simplified fraction is 1 / (sin(b)cos(b)). Therefore, in summary, the simplified form of sin(b)/cos(b) + cos(b)/sin(b) is 1 / (sin(b)cos(b)), using trigonometric identities.
DJ-Smiles

Homework Statement

Simplify the following:
sin(b)/cos(b) + cos(b)/sin(b)

Homework Equations

Trigonometric identities

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i have no clue how to do this,I keep trying but can't seem to get the right answer, I have tried to do this:

=tan(b)+ 1/tan(b)
=tan(b)+cot(b)

I know this isn't right and I am encountering these types of questions quite often now, so I really need help. Please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
DJ-Smiles said:

Homework Statement

Simplify the following:

Homework Equations

Trigonometric identities

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so i have no clue how to do this,I keep trying but can't seem to get the right answer, I have tried to do this:

=tan(b)+ 1/tan(b)
=tan(b)+cot(b)

I know this isn't right and I am encountering these types of questions quite often now, so I really need help. Please help me.
Well, it is true that sin(b)/cos(b) + cos(b)/sin(b) = tan(b) + cot(b) , but you probably need to come up with something more surprising.

Use a common denominator to combine sin(b)/cos(b) + cos(b)/sin(b) into one fraction. Yo may be surprised by what the numerator simplifies to.

yeah I know it's just that the answer is 1/cos(b)sin(b). How would I get to this?

DJ-Smiles said:
yeah I know it's just that the answer is 1/cos(b)sin(b). How would I get to this?

As I said before,
se a common denominator to combine sin(b)/cos(b) + cos(b)/sin(b) into one fraction.​

Related to Trigonometric identities hard question

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are used to relate different angles and sides of a triangle and are essential in solving trigonometric equations.

2. What makes a trigonometric identity a hard question?

Trigonometric identities can be challenging because they require a deep understanding of trigonometric functions and their relationships. They often involve complex algebraic manipulations and require multiple steps to solve.

3. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometric identities?

Practice and repetition are key to improving your understanding of trigonometric identities. Start with simpler identities and gradually work your way up to more complex ones. Also, make sure you have a solid understanding of basic trigonometric concepts.

4. What are some strategies for solving hard trigonometric identities?

One strategy is to use the Pythagorean identities, which relate the trigonometric functions to each other and can simplify the equation. Another approach is to rewrite the equation in terms of one trigonometric function and then use trigonometric identities to simplify further.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric identities?

One common mistake is to forget to check the domain of the trigonometric functions. Since some values of the functions are undefined, it is essential to make sure that the solutions fall within the valid domain. Also, make sure to thoroughly check your algebraic manipulations as a small mistake can throw off the entire solution.