Trigonometric function expanded in spherical harmonics

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of expressing (cos(\theta)sin(\theta))^2 in terms of spherical harmonics. It is mentioned that this is possible, but the resulting expression depends on the desired outcome and may require further work. The conversation also includes an explanation of how to express 1/4 (sin(2θ))^2 in terms of spherical harmonics and the importance of having no dependence on phi. Finally, the conversation concludes with the solution to the problem.
M_1
Is it possible to express (cos([itex]\theta[/itex])sin([itex]\theta[/itex]))^2 in terms of spherical harmonics?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi M_1! :smile:
M_1 said:
Is it possible to express (cos([itex]\theta[/itex])sin([itex]\theta[/itex]))^2 in terms of spherical harmonics?

Isn't that 1/4 sin22θ ?

Yes, but it depends on what you want. For instance,
$$
-\frac{32 \pi^2}{9} Y_1^{-1} Y_1^1 \left(Y_1^0\right)^2 = \cos^2 \theta \sin^2 \theta
$$
But if you require a result in terms of a sum of spherical harmonics, then this requires more work.

Hi!
Thanks! Yes but then the next question is if it is possible to express 1/4 (sin(2θ)))^2 in terms of spherical harmonics.

For example we can write cos2(θ)=1/3(4*[itex]\sqrt{\pi /5}[/itex]Y20+1),
but is such an expansion possible also for 1/4 (sin(2θ)))^2? I need an a linear expansion in only spherical harmonics (not combined with trigonometric functions).

M_1 said:
I need an a linear expansion in only spherical harmonics (not combined with trigonometric functions).
Telling us what you need this for will help us help you.

Hi DrClaude,
Thanks! But as you correctly guessed I need a sum of spherical harmonics. I would be glad to do the work but I don't know how to start and more scaringly I'm not sure if it is possible. That's why I first would like to find out if it is possible.

Is it important that you have no ##\phi## dependence?

Hi DrClaude,
I'm trying do calculate the exact solution for the vibrational energy of an inviscid droplet with a predetermined surface tension, radius, and amplitude.

In order to do so I need to solve the integral
[itex]\int[/itex]r5sin([itex]\theta[/itex])cos([itex]\theta[/itex])sin([itex]\theta[/itex])d[itex]\theta[/itex]d[itex]\varphi[/itex] where
r=r0(1+[itex]\alpha[/itex]Y20sin([itex]\varpi[/itex]t))
where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the relative amplitude.

I try do use the nice methodology of Baxansky and Kiryati
http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2006.06.001
but I get stuck on this issue.

There can be no [itex]\varphi[/itex]-dependence.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got it. The answer is
$$
\frac{4}{15} \sqrt{\pi } Y_0^0(\theta ,\phi )+\frac{4}{21} \sqrt{\frac{\pi }{5}} Y_2^0(\theta ,\phi )-\frac{16}{105} \sqrt{\pi } Y_4^0(\theta ,\phi )
$$
You can check it for yourself in WolframAlpha. Look at the "Alternate forms".

Likes 1 person
Excellent! Problem solved. Many thanks DrClaude!

Related to Trigonometric function expanded in spherical harmonics

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions that are used to represent complex periodic functions on the surface of a sphere. They are commonly used in the fields of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. How are spherical harmonics related to trigonometric functions?

Spherical harmonics are closely related to trigonometric functions because they are composed of a combination of sine and cosine functions. However, unlike trigonometric functions, they are defined on a sphere rather than a plane.

3. What is the significance of expanding trigonometric functions in spherical harmonics?

Expanding trigonometric functions in spherical harmonics allows us to represent these functions in a more compact and efficient form. It also allows for easier manipulation and calculation of these functions, particularly in the context of spherical geometry.

4. What are the applications of using spherical harmonics to expand trigonometric functions?

Spherical harmonics have a wide range of applications, including in physics, astronomy, satellite communications, and geodesy. They are used to model and analyze complex periodic phenomena on the surface of a sphere, such as gravitational fields, electromagnetic radiation, and magnetic fields.

5. Are there any limitations to using spherical harmonics to expand trigonometric functions?

While spherical harmonics are a powerful tool for representing trigonometric functions, they do have some limitations. They are typically only applicable to functions that are periodic on the surface of a sphere, and may not accurately represent functions with high-frequency components or sharp changes in amplitude.