Trigonometric Form and the Surprising Result: 1=-1?

In summary, the conversation discusses the mistake in assuming that 1^{1/2}=e^{i2\pi/2} and the concept of taking functions to be single-valued in the complex number system. The mistake lies in the fact that in the complex number system, taking the square root of 1 does not necessarily result in a single value.
springo
Hi,
as I was studying complex numbers today I came across this, and I couldn't explain it:
[tex]1=e^{i0}[/tex]
[tex]1=e^{i2\Pi}[/tex]
[tex]1^{1/2}=e^{i2\Pi/2}[/tex]
[tex]1=e^{i\Pi}[/tex]
[tex]1=-1[/tex]
Where is the mistake?
Thank you very much for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
springo said:
[tex]1=e^{i2\pi}[/tex]
[tex]1^{1/2}=e^{i2\pi/2}[/tex]
Why would you think that the latter equation follows from the former?

[tex]1^{1/2}=(e^{i2\pi})^{1/2}[/tex]
Is that wrong?

The question really was, "why do you think that 11/2= 1?". In the real number system we take functions to be "single valued". In the complex number system that is no longer possible.

In particular, in the real number system, we define x1/2 to be "the positive number, a, such that a2= x". Since the complex numbers are not an ordered field that definition cannot be used.

OK, so basically I would have to take -1, but why not take 1 too?
And if I take 1, I still get 1=-1, right?

Related to Trigonometric Form and the Surprising Result: 1=-1?

1. What is the meaning of "Trigonometric form"?

Trigonometric form, also known as polar form, is a way of representing complex numbers using their magnitude (or absolute value) and angle. It is expressed in the form r(cosθ + i sinθ), where r is the magnitude and θ is the angle.

2. How is the number 1 equal to -1 in Trigonometric form?

In Trigonometric form, the number 1 can be represented as r(cos0 + i sin0), where r is the magnitude and 0 is the angle. Similarly, the number -1 can be represented as r(cosπ + i sinπ), where r is the magnitude and π is the angle. Since cos0 = cosπ = 1 and sin0 = sinπ = 0, both expressions reduce to r(1 + i0), or simply r. Therefore, 1 and -1 have the same Trigonometric form, making them equal.

3. What is the significance of 1=-1 in Trigonometric form?

The equality 1=-1 in Trigonometric form is a mathematical curiosity that demonstrates the relationship between complex numbers and trigonometric functions. It shows that certain trigonometric identities hold true for all values of r and θ, as long as they are expressed in polar form. This concept is important in fields such as engineering, physics, and mathematics.

4. Can any other numbers be equal in Trigonometric form?

Yes, any numbers that have the same magnitude and angle can be equal in Trigonometric form. For example, 2 and 2i have the same magnitude (2) and angle (π/2), so they can be represented as r(cosπ/2 + i sinπ/2) and r(cosπ/2 + i sinπ/2), respectively, and thus are equal in Trigonometric form.

5. How is Trigonometric form related to the complex plane?

The complex plane is a graphical representation of complex numbers, where the real part is plotted on the x-axis and the imaginary part on the y-axis. Trigonometric form allows us to represent complex numbers as vectors in the complex plane, with the magnitude as the length of the vector and the angle as the direction. This makes it easier to perform operations on complex numbers, such as multiplication and division, by using trigonometric identities and geometric concepts.