Trigonometric Equation: Solving for Sec x=2 and Reviewing for a Test

So you have a total of 8 solns, starting with Pi/12 and adding Pi/2 to get to the next one.In summary, the conversation discusses solving for secant and cosine equations, particularly how to get the values for secx=2 and the corresponding angles. The solution involves using the unit circle and finding the corresponding angles in the first and fourth quadrants, and then adding multiples of Pi/2 to get all possible solutions.
Phyzwizz
This is a problem from a quiz I had awhile ago, I got the answer correct, but I'm reviewing for a test and I completely forget how I did it. Can someone please show me what I did?

sec4x=2
secx=2
x=π/3 + 2nπ ---> x=π/12+2nπ/4
x=5π/3 + 2nπ ---> x=5π/12+2nπ/4

π=pi

p.s. I mostly just forget how to get the value for sec x= 2 how did I get π/3 and 5π/3

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Phyzwizz said:
This is a problem from a quiz I had awhile ago, I got the answer correct, but I'm reviewing for a test and I completely forget how I did it. Can someone please show me what I did?

sec4x=2
secx=2
x=π/3 + 2nπ ---> x=π/12+2nπ/4
x=5π/3 + 2nπ ---> x=5π/12+2nπ/4

π=pi

p.s. I mostly just forget how to get the value for sec x= 2 how did I get π/3 and 5π/3

Thanks!

First off, I have no idea why you have two problems written right after each other. I will assume you sought to solve the first.
[tex] sec(4x) = 2 \to \frac{1}{2} = cosine(4x) \to x = \frac{arccos(\frac{1}{2})}{4}[/tex]

So you are taking an inverse cosine of one half. So the question is, "The cosine of what angle gives you 1/2?"

To achieve this, draw the unit circle. Remember that cosinusoids correspond to the x-axis, and sinusoids correspond to the y-axis. Thus, this positive answer of 1/2 must correspond to regions in the graph where x are positive. These regions are I and IV, using the common numbering system. You then draw the two 30-60-90 degree triangles, label the side of both triangles that correspond to the x-axis "1/2," label the hypotenuse as 1, and label the remaining side sqrt(3)/2. Then, use your triangular knowledge to figure out the correct angle.

You solved sec(x)=2 ...which gives you Pi/3 and 5*Pi/3, but you added 2*Pi*n because you can continually go around the unit circle and find answers. After your ----> thing, you divided both by 4 in order to come up with x=arcsec(2)/4, which is what tedbradly has shown you.

The matter is choosing all angles in one time around the unit circle that fits with this. So far, you have answers (just your answers for sec(x)=2, each divided by 4):

Pi/12
5*Pi/12

But you can also move around the unit circle by n*Pi/2 to find other answers. n is always an integer, since it has not changed from the 2*Pi*n case .

So you have Pi/12, Pi/12+Pi/2, Pi/12+Pi, Pi/12+3Pi/2...5*Pi/12, 5*Pi/12+Pi/2, 5*Pi/12+Pi, 5*Pi/12+3Pi/2.

This makes sense because you have 2 answers initially and you were solving for 4x...4*2=8 solns.

Related to Trigonometric Equation: Solving for Sec x=2 and Reviewing for a Test

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, etc. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or side lengths in triangles or other geometric shapes.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must use the properties and identities of trigonometric functions. This involves manipulating the equation, simplifying it, and using inverse trigonometric functions to solve for the unknown variable.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in solving equations?

Some common trigonometric identities used in solving equations are the Pythagorean identities (sin^2x + cos^2x = 1), the double angle identities (sin2x = 2sinxcosx), and the half angle identities (sin^2(x/2) = (1-cosx)/2).

4. Can you solve a trigonometric equation without a calculator?

Yes, it is possible to solve a trigonometric equation without a calculator by using algebraic manipulation and the properties and identities of trigonometric functions. However, a calculator can be helpful in checking your answers and providing decimal approximations.

5. How are trigonometric equations used in real life?

Trigonometric equations are used in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. They can be used to calculate distances, heights, and angles in real-world situations. For example, they can be used to determine the height of a building or the distance between two objects.