How did you come up with your username?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, that's how I came up with my username, but the response I am fishing for was a lot funnier than that.
Mentat
I just wanted to know what the motivation was behind everyone's usernames. If there was no reason, then just say that, but if there was a reason, please share it with us.

Physics news on Phys.org
No reason its just my name but then again that's a reason so there is a reason to my name.

Well, Andy, that's as good a reason as any. Thanks for your response.

"Charm" and "strange" are the second generation quarks. Sometimes I masquerade as F-meson.

Ben-CS

Originally posted by Ben-CS
"Charm" and "strange" are the second generation quarks. Sometimes I masquerade as F-meson.

Ben-CS

Cool .

Pop quiz - 4 gold stars to the person who gets it right.

What did I say last time this question was asked (on PF2)?

I always liked Monty Python's "Njorl's Saga" skit. My name is not Njorl, or N. Jorl.

1st Voice Over: This little-known Icelandic saga, written by an unknown hand in the late thirteenth century, has remained undiscovered until today. Now it comes to your screens for the first time. Fresh from the leaves of Iceland's history. The terrible 'Njorl's Saga'.

(Cut to Viking.)

Viking: It's not that terrible.

(Cut to landscape. The announcer appears in the comer of the shot.)

Announcer: No, I meant terribly violent.

(Cut to Viking.)

Viking: Oh yeah, yeah.

Monthy Python are superb. The first question to a lion tamer will probably not be 'has he got his own hat?' ...
I was formerly known as carsten, now I use an acronym, guess what...

Originally posted by J-Man

Well, on the show "Seinfeld" the K-man was Kramer. That would make the J-man... OH MY GOD! YOU'RE JERRY SEINFELD!

Wow.

Njorl

It's what the guys at the shop call me. In fact that is the name on my toolbox! I'm slightly taller than average, somewhat lean, and my appearance has occasionaly been described as "severe".

I rock climb professionally so I just thought it fit.

I don't know, but I will give an additional 4 stars if someone recalls my answer.

Originally posted by Tom
I don't know, but I will give an additional 4 stars if someone recalls my answer.

Hmm, I'm wicked desperate for stars, so I'll guess... your name :smile:
Actually about the stars, I don't see stars anymore, do they even exist? I see a few chance people are lucky enough to have title's already, but I see no stars. Why?

Twisted Angel...hm...im angel who's a bit messed up...?
messed up bit- well wud have to tell u a story- but thatl bore u with my random rambling

Zefram Cochrane is the inventor of warp drive.

Originally posted by Zefram
Zefram Cochrane is the inventor of warp drive.
Oh no, please don't tell me that's star trek...

What else?

Originally posted by climbhi
Hmm, I'm wicked desperate for stars, so I'll guess... your name :smile:

Har-dee-har-har.

Yes, that's how I came up with my username, but the response I am fishing for was a lot funnier than that.

Actually about the stars, I don't see stars anymore, do they even exist? I see a few chance people are lucky enough to have title's already, but I see no stars. Why?

As for the stars, I think they're gone. But you should be able to enter your own title by going into the User CP (Control Panel). However, swear words are blocked out, and for regular members, so are "PF Mentor" and "PF Advisor".

well the grimace rocks so i am like the genric pathmark brand

A Salvador Dali painting entitled "Galatea of the Spheres"

Originally posted by Tom
As for the stars, I think they're gone. But you should be able to enter your own title by going into the User CP (Control Panel).

Hmm, I guess I don't see how to do that.

because i like my name

[d-Ala,MePhe,Gly(ol)]-enkephalin. Highly selective mu agonist widely used in neuroscience research. And it has a nice sound to it.

damgo, did you used to be Alis in PF v2.0?

This was my nickname when i was in the Navy. Now only my closest friends call me by it.

Tom -- yeah. My real name is Ali; I use alis as an account name.

I used to be a big raver, as in outdoor dance party goer. I've used it in chat rooms, forums etc. for years. So Raavin is a misspelling of raving. Now I'm a dad so that's all in the distant past.

Raavin (many a night in my past looking like this :wink: )

^^^ lol, I never would've thought that. that picture looks too sinister for even an ex-raver... better watch out for the PLUR police. ;)

I'm lazy and uncreative so I use my name.

I'll tell you but first I'm curious to know what you think it means.

Your favorite comic book character is Cyclops?

well i once knew someone called j-man simply because he was too stoned to remember his real name, he was a legend and was never seen without a really fat joint hanging from his lips, so we called him j-man. then one day i saw him in a suit WITHOUT A JOINT and my dreams were shattered.

it's not *siff* YOU is it j-man?

well my name comes from the character/title of my fave book by herman hesse, steppenwolf (aka harry haller) believed he was half wolf, half man, it is a damn fine book...

Thanks for all of the responses, everyone, it's made for some interesting reading.

LaserEyes, I really don't know (my first thought was a metaphor for deep insight, but now I really doubt it). Tell us.

When I used to learn martial arts the instructor once said to me that when I look at someone I look with laser eyes. He meant that I can see through the mask that people wear to what's inside.

I'm sure that Iv'e related this before, but:

It comes from a character I developed for something like a RPG, years ago. I wanted a mythology based name to fit the background of the story, and as the character could have been said as having two sides to his character, I chose the Roman God Janus. (And I just couldn't resist the introduction: "Hello, I'm Janus, and yes, I am a two-faced SOB". )