Trig question eq in the form y = sin k x

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the relationship between the coefficient of x (k) in the function y=sin kx and the period and frequency of the function. It is clarified that the formula for periodic functions is y=Acos(ωt) or y=Asin(ωt), where ω is the angular frequency and A=1 in this case. The formula for period is also mentioned as 2Pi / K, where K is the constant in the function. The person seeking help expresses gratitude for the assistance provided.
Matt1234

Homework Statement

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7677/30639229.jpg

Homework Equations

y = sin k x

The Attempt at a Solution

Looking for help with part 12b in particular so i can try 13c

Im not quite sure how the coefficent of x (K) in the function y=sin kx relate to peroid and frequency. I know that if k is less then 1 the graph is stretched horizontally and if k > 1 its compressed horizontally but i can't come up with the equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Periodic functions follow the form

y=Acos(ωt)

OR

y=Asin(ωt)

ω is the angular frequency. (In your question, A=1)

i got it the formula i could not recall was that period = 2Pi / K (constant in my question)
thanks for your help sir!

Related to Trig question eq in the form y = sin k x

1. What is the meaning of "k" in the equation y = sin kx?

The variable "k" represents the frequency of the sine function. It determines the number of cycles the function completes in a given interval.

2. How do you determine the period of the sine function in this equation?

The period of the function can be found by dividing 2π by the value of "k". This will give you the length of one cycle of the function.

3. Can the value of "k" be negative in this equation?

Yes, the value of "k" can be negative. This will result in a reflection of the graph of the function about the y-axis.

4. How does changing the value of "k" affect the graph of the function?

Increasing the value of "k" will result in a higher frequency and a shorter period, while decreasing the value of "k" will result in a lower frequency and a longer period. This will cause the graph to become more compressed or stretched out along the x-axis.

5. Can the value of "k" be equal to 0 in this equation?

No, the value of "k" cannot be equal to 0 as this would result in a horizontal line and not a sine function.