Trig problem, let sinA= -3/5 wiht A in Quad. 3 find Sin2A

• Thread starter Neopets
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the value of sinA when given that SinA is equal to -3/5 in Quadrant 3. The correct approach involves finding cosA using the Pythagorean identity, which results in a value of 4/5. The final answer is -4/5, as the negative must be applied after taking the square root. The conversation also addresses a small mistake in the calculations and emphasizes the importance of being careful with signs.
Neopets

Homework Statement

SinA is = to -3/5 with A in Q3, find sinA?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

When I did this I set it up like
First find cosA
So to do that I used plus/minus √(1-sin^2A)
The problem is that I really got confused when plugging in the values under the radical correctly, because i thought, -3/5 squared gives you positive 9/25 doesn't it and then the negative sign in the middle should make it 1-9/25, so you'd get 25/25-9/25 = 14/25
and then the answer also says that since it is in quadrant 3 it is negative, so -14/25 ? right?
Then plug that into the next step :
Sin 2A = 2SinACosA
=2(-3/5)(-√14/5)
something is wrong with how I'm doing it and I'd really like to know what. :( :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Neopets said:
The problem is that I really got confused when plugging in the values under the radical correctly, because i thought, -3/5 squared gives you positive 9/25 doesn't it and then the negative sign in the middle should make it 1-9/25, so you'd get 25/25-9/25 = 14/25
It's 16/25, not 14/25.

Neopets said:
and then the answer also says that since it is in quadrant 3 it is negative, so -14/25 ? right?
No. Take the square root first, and then tack on the negative. So it's
[itex]-\sqrt{\frac{16}{25}}=-\frac{4}{5}[/itex]

eumyang said:
It's 16/25, not 14/25.

No. Take the square root first, and then tack on the negative. So it's
[itex]-\sqrt{\frac{16}{25}}=-\frac{4}{5}[/itex]

omg thank u, some small silly mistake. ahhhh
thanks for seeing that :)

oh wow I thoguht it was sin(a) = -3/5 find a my bad

Related to Trig problem, let sinA= -3/5 wiht A in Quad. 3 find Sin2A

1) How do I solve a trigonometry problem with negative values?

When dealing with negative values in trigonometry, it is important to remember the signs for each quadrant. In this problem, since sinA is negative and A is in quadrant 3, we know that cosine and tangent will also be negative in quadrant 3.

2) What does "Quad. 3" mean in this problem?

"Quad. 3" refers to quadrant 3 on a coordinate plane. This means that A is between 180 and 270 degrees, or in other words, in the bottom left quadrant.

3) How do I find the value of sin2A?

To find the value of sin2A, we can use the double angle identity for sine: sin2A = 2sinAcosA. Since we are given the value of sinA, we can plug it into this equation to find sin2A.

4) Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this problem. Just make sure your calculator is in degree mode and use the inverse sine function to find the value of A. Then, use the double angle identity to find sin2A.

5) What is the final answer for this problem?

The final answer for this problem will depend on the specific value of A. Using the double angle identity, we can find the value of sin2A, but without a specific angle measure for A, we cannot determine the exact value of sin2A.