Human Behavior: What makes you tick?

In summary: I think it's important to be able to balance your emotions and remain objective when pursuing a goal. Tact, charm, and good taste can help you accomplish this.
Entropia
OK...

This is an attempt in trying to make sense out of human behavior...

What makes you tick? AND, why?

Biology news on Phys.org
entropia...can you give a clearer definition of "tick"? do you mean ticked off or ?

The last personality test I took said curiosity was my main drive, which was obvious to me. I don't like to be surprised, and understanding why things happen as they do lends a sense of control. I'm terrible at answering open questions like this. I can't really add anything else until I know more specifically what you're asking.

Originally posted by Entropia
OK...

I am run by three urges: sex, food, and the need to achieve.

gotcha...

my drive is to understand...

Originally posted by Kerrie
gotcha...

my drive is to understand...

Hey, you stole my answer!:wink:

1. Food - I like feeling full and contented.

2. Sleep - Makes me feel energized and less grumpy.

3. Adventures - I love the feeling of exploring the unknown.

4. Sex - Though i haven't done it yet. People say it's great.

5. Entertainment - Who doesn't like having fun?

Love is what makes me tick...

Know that I am loved and loving

Sounds kinda crazy but...hey we all got to belong somewhere!

I guess Curiosity would be my overarching categorical answer for what makes me tick.

Believing that after life is identical to pre-life (there is nothing), and therefore realising that all of life is pointless since it will all mean nothing as of the very moment that we die, my only reason to continue living essential comes down to 'But what happens next?'

I always want to know how/why/when etc. I want to understand everything. I want to experience everything. I am not just alive like so many people are, I am actually living my life.

How else will I ever get to see everything?

Originally posted by Another God
I guess Curiosity would be my overarching categorical answer for what makes me tick.

Believing that after life is identical to pre-life (there is nothing), and therefore realising that all of life is pointless since it will all mean nothing as of the very moment that we die, my only reason to continue living essential comes down to 'But what happens next?'

I always want to know how/why/when etc. I want to understand everything. I want to experience everything. I am not just alive like so many people are, I am actually living my life.

How else will I ever get to see everything?

You see people? This is why he was nominated for the award of "Member who would go to the ends of the universe to discover truth". :smile:

The need to know and acheive.
The need of success.
Not feeling i ever wasted available knowledge or time.

the desire to avoid pain and the attraction towards pleasure motivates all human activity that is not reflexive. What causes pleausure and pain is not the same within all human beings but for the most part is a result of what Richard Dawkins would classify as "selfish genetic evolution". Has anyone read the book The SELFISH GENE?

I think the other thing that drives me is the search for knowledge and the qwest to be a better person and learn how to do things more effectivly.

Greetings !
OK...

Fun !
Because if you do not enjoy your life and have
hopes of doing so in the future - why live it ?

Live long and prosper.

Modeling the nature of my answers after Bubonic Plague's format:

1. Food - some of it tastes great (Thai, Italian and I have a weakness for sweets) and it provides nourishment. Need I say more?

2. Sleep - Great on a cold evening or after taking medication

3. Adventures - discovering new places, new ideas, new people...always rewarding.

4. Sex - Well, because of the whole arranged marriage thing, I'll get back to you later on that...

5. Entertainment - Entertainment for me ranges from my personal library to my CD collection. I love it.

All of the above! At any moment I might be driven by love, or curiosity, or hunger, or something else, or just want to have fun. And they're all me.

OK...

I don't tick. I'm not a clock.

(What keeps me going? Potential.)

Originally posted by Sensei

Secondary : social dynamics to achieve Primary goals with a hint of good taste, diplomacy, and grace.

and what... pray tell... is your idea of using social dynamics to achieve your primary goals with a hint of good taste, diplomacy, and grace![?]

1. What factors influence human behavior?

There are many factors that can influence human behavior, such as genetics, environment, culture, upbringing, and personal experiences. These factors can shape our thoughts, emotions, and actions.

2. Is human behavior primarily determined by nature or nurture?

This is a highly debated question in the field of psychology. Some argue that human behavior is primarily determined by genetics and biology (nature), while others believe that it is primarily shaped by environmental and social influences (nurture). However, most experts agree that it is a combination of both nature and nurture.

3. Can human behavior be changed?

Yes, human behavior can be changed through various methods, such as therapy, education, and self-reflection. However, the extent to which behavior can be changed depends on the individual and the specific behavior in question. Some behaviors may be more difficult to change than others.

4. How does human behavior affect society?

Human behavior plays a crucial role in shaping society. Our actions and interactions with others can impact the norms, values, and structures of society. For example, cooperation and empathy can lead to a more harmonious society, while aggression and selfishness can lead to conflict and division.

5. Can human behavior be predicted?

It is possible to make predictions about human behavior, but it is not an exact science. Factors such as individual differences and external influences make it challenging to predict behavior accurately. However, through research and observation, patterns and tendencies in human behavior can be identified and used to make predictions.