Trig identity question need checking

In summary: Just write what you need to in order to get to the answer.In summary, cos(5pi/12) is (cos(a+b)+cosacosb)
JakePearson
1. cos(2x+y)
= cos(a+b) = sinasinb + cosacosb
= (2x+y) = sin2xsiny + cos2xcosy
= sin2x = 2sinxcosx and cos2x = cos2x-sin2x
= cos(2x+y) = (cos2x-sin2x)cosy - (2sinxcosx and cos2x)siny
(is this correct)

2. evaluate the following exactly (use [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex] in your answer where necessary)

cos (5pi / 12)

how do i complete this question ?!?

Physics news on Phys.org
JakePearson said:
1. cos(2x+y)
= (2x+y) = sin2xsiny + cos2xcosy
= sin2x = 2sinxcosx and cos2x = cos2x-sin2x
= cos(2x+y) = (cos2x-sin2x)cosy - (2sinxcosx and cos2x)siny
(is this correct)

Do you mean sin2xsiny = (2sinxcosx+cos2x)siny ?

also cos(a+b)=cosacosb - sinasinb

JakePearson said:
2. evaluate the following exactly (use [tex]\sqrt{}[/tex] in your answer where necessary)

cos (5pi / 12)

how do i complete this question ?!?

try putting [itex]\frac{5 \pi}{12}[/itex] as two fractions which you know the sine of and the cosine of.

cos(a+b) = sinasinb + cosacosb is not the correct identity, so the next line is also incorrect (you also forgot something before (2x+y) on the left side of that equation).
The last two lines are correct except for the last one where copied and pasted and cos2x which doesn't belong.

As for evaluating cos(5[itex]\pi[/itex]/12), split 5[itex]\pi[/itex]/12 into two numbers you can easily evaluate with trigonometric functions. Split them so you have cos(a + b) and use the the identities above to evaluate.

Also, and similar to a comment I made in another thread, don't put in extraneous stuff.
I.e., you have
cos(2x+y)
I understand why you put it there, but if you have to write this down, put it off to the side so that it's not in the flow of your chain of equalities. You don't have to (and shouldn't) write down everything that goes through your mind.

Related to Trig identity question need checking

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) that are true for all values of the variables involved.

2. Why do we need trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are useful for simplifying and manipulating trigonometric expressions and equations.

3. How can I check if a trigonometric identity is true?

There are various methods for checking the validity of a trigonometric identity, such as using the fundamental identities, substitution, or using a calculator.

4. Can I prove a trigonometric identity?

Yes, you can prove a trigonometric identity using various methods such as algebraic manipulation, geometric proofs, or using the properties of trigonometric functions.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when working with trigonometric identities?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with trigonometric identities include forgetting to distribute negative signs, using incorrect identities, and not simplifying properly.