Calculating Velocity and Energy of a Spring Mass System: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about a spring mass system where a 0.35-kg mass is vibrating with an amplitude of 0.15m and a frequency of 3 times per second. The summary includes information on determining the velocity at different points, finding the spring constant, and calculating the total energy of the system. The conversation also includes some calculations and a practical hint for solving the problem.
bard
spring mass help--desperate

A 0.35-kg mass at the end of the vibrates 3 times per second with an amplitude of 0.15m. Determine (a)the velocity when it passes the equilibrum point (b)the velocity when it is 0.10m from the equilibrum point(c)the total energy of the system(d)the equation describing the moiton of the mass assuming that at t=0, x was maximum

ok i know that v=sqrtk/m(A^2-x^2)

the velocity would be V=sqrtk/m(0.15^2-0)

V=sqrtk/0.35(0.15^2-0)---other than that I am am stuck can someone help

Thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the spring constant k from the frequency f:

f = 1/(2π) √(k/m)

ok i found K as 1.27 and plugged it back so \

so i got the velocity as 0.28m/s is this right

so then the velocity from 0.1 m from equibium would be

.78m/s

c) total energy of the system would be 1/2KA^2=0.014--dosent make sense

thnx

I think you messed up the calculations. Do them over.

Here's a practical hint. For a and b, you can just use the value of √(k/m) from the equation I gave. (No need to plug in k and m.) Less chance of calculation error.

ok i got v=1.59 for part A and v=1.18 for part b

how do i find the total energy of the system?

Originally posted by bard
ok i got v=1.59 for part A and v=1.18 for part b

how do i find the total energy of the system?
I get different answer for the speeds.

The total energy equals the spring potential energy at maximum compression.

What is a spring mass system?

A spring mass system is a physical system that consists of a mass attached to a spring, and the spring is attached to a fixed point. The mass is able to move horizontally or vertically, and the spring exerts a force on the mass based on its displacement from its equilibrium position.

What is the equation for a spring mass system?

The equation for a spring mass system is F = -kx, where F is the force exerted by the spring, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement of the mass from its equilibrium position.

How does the mass affect the spring's behavior?

The mass affects the spring's behavior by changing the frequency of oscillation. A heavier mass will result in a lower frequency, while a lighter mass will result in a higher frequency.

What is the significance of the spring constant in a spring mass system?

The spring constant, represented by k, is a measure of the stiffness of the spring. A higher spring constant indicates a stiffer spring, which will result in a higher force exerted on the mass for a given displacement. It also affects the frequency of oscillation in the system.

How can a spring mass system be used in real life?

A spring mass system can be used in various real-life applications, such as in shock absorbers for vehicles, in pogo sticks, and in musical instruments like guitars and pianos. It is also often used in physics experiments to demonstrate concepts such as simple harmonic motion and energy conservation.