Light bulb temperature variation

In summary, when measuring the temperature of a light bulb as the voltage increases, a type J exposed thermocouple or a thermistor can be used. The graph of voltage against temperature may not be a straight line, as the temperature depends on various factors such as the resistance of the filament and the rate of heat radiation. Another factor to consider is that the heat energy carried away from the filament will increasingly be in the form of infrared radiation, which may require determining the peak wavelength of the output light.
BananaMan
as part of a physics practical write up i have to measure the temperature of a light bulb envelopes temperature as the voltage increases.

first ... am i right in thinking a type J exposed thermocouple would do the trick for this?

if so, i heard something about one end being cold, to maintain a constant pd ?

second (most importantly)...am i right in thinking that a graph of V against Temp would be a straight line not through the origin?

thank you :)

p.s. already looked on the net for this and rly can't find n e thing on either point :S

Physics news on Phys.org
BananaMan said:
as part of a physics practical write up i have to measure the temperature of a light bulb envelopes temperature as the voltage increases.

first ... am i right in thinking a type J exposed thermocouple would do the trick for this?
if so, i heard something about one end being cold, to maintain a constant pd ?

second (most importantly)...am i right in thinking that a graph of V against Temp would be a straight line not through the origin?

thank you :)

p.s. already looked on the net for this and rly can't find n e thing on either point :S

A thermocouple would work, as would a thermistor (thermistors don't need a constant cold side).

Since the filament of a bulb will increase in resistance with temperature, and temperature will be proportional to the square of the current which will be proportional to the voltage and inversely proportional to the resistance which is proportional to the temperature... well, let's say that it might not be a straight line.

EDIT: correction, the power is proportional to the square of the current; the temperature depends on other factors including the rate of heat radiation which is proportional to the surface area of the filament as well as the difference in temperature between the filament and its surroundings. It's looking even less like a straight line graph now.

Antother point to consider, is that the "heat" energy that is carried away from the filament wil be increasingly in the form of infrared radiation. For things that are glowing, a more accurate reading of temperature is found by determining the peak wavelength of the output light. If you have not ecountered the Stefan-Boltzmann Law or "Blackbody radiation" then this is not the way to go.

Last edited:

Yes, you are correct in thinking that a type J exposed thermocouple would be suitable for measuring the temperature of a light bulb envelope. This type of thermocouple is commonly used for temperature measurements in various industries, including the lighting industry.

As for the second point, the graph of voltage (V) against temperature would not be a straight line through the origin. This is because the resistance of the filament in the light bulb changes as the temperature increases, which affects the voltage across the bulb. Therefore, the relationship between voltage and temperature would not be linear and the graph would not go through the origin.

To accurately measure the temperature of the light bulb envelope, it is important to use a thermocouple that has been properly calibrated and has a known sensitivity to temperature. This will ensure that the measurements are accurate and reliable.

I hope this helps with your physics practical write-up. Good luck with your experiment!

1. What causes a light bulb to heat up?

Light bulbs heat up due to the resistance of the filament inside the bulb. When electricity flows through the filament, it encounters resistance which produces heat. The higher the wattage of the bulb, the more resistance and heat it produces.

2. Why do some light bulbs get hotter than others?

The temperature of a light bulb is directly related to its wattage. Higher wattage bulbs produce more light and therefore, more heat. The type of bulb also affects its temperature. Incandescent bulbs tend to get hotter than LED bulbs, for example.

3. How does temperature affect the brightness of a light bulb?

The temperature of a light bulb can affect its brightness in two ways. First, as the temperature increases, the resistance of the filament also increases, resulting in a decrease in brightness. Additionally, high temperatures can cause the filament to evaporate, reducing the amount of light produced.

4. Can the temperature of a light bulb be measured?

Yes, the temperature of a light bulb can be measured using a thermometer or an infrared thermometer. However, it is important to note that the temperature measured may not accurately reflect the actual temperature of the filament, as some of the heat may dissipate into the surrounding environment.

5. Is it dangerous for a light bulb to get too hot?

In general, it is not dangerous for a light bulb to get too hot. However, if the bulb is left on for extended periods of time and is in close proximity to flammable materials, it could potentially pose a fire hazard. It is important to always follow the manufacturer's guidelines for usage and to use caution when handling hot bulbs.