Trig, find tan A and tan B (no numbers given)

In summary, the question asks to find the values of tan A and tan B for a right angle triangle with side lengths a = t, b = k, and hypotenuse = p. The attempt at a solution involves using the rule \tan A = \frac{opp}{adj} but this does not make sense in this case. The possible answers are limited to tan A = 1/tan B, tan A = t/k, and tan B = k/t. The teacher may have been trying to show the relationship between the values of tan A and tan B in this problem.
uperkurk

Homework Statement

Find tan A, tan B

I have a right angle triangle. Length a = t, length b = k, hypotenuse = p.

The Attempt at a Solution

Usually I would just use the normal rule of [tex]\tan a =\frac{opp}{adj}[/tex] but how can I get an answer here? I can't just say [tex]\tan a =\frac{t}{k}[/tex] because this makes no sense.

The only thing I can think of is say the answer is 1. Or tan a = 45, tan b = 45.

Physics news on Phys.org
If this is really all you were given, then that is all you can do. The answer cannot possibly be 1 because there is nothing in the problem barring you from making t=2 and k=1, making tan A = 2 (indeed, you could fix it so tan A = any number you want).

D2PkBlW.png

Question 6 is the one relating to my original question.

Seems to me like all you can do it get the quotients you gave in the first post :)

I think your teacher was trying to get you to show that

tanA = 1/tanB

tanA = t/k

tanB = k/t

Chestermiller said:
I think your teacher was trying to get you to show that

tanA = 1/tanB

tanA = t/k

tanB = k/t

This. :wink:

Related to Trig, find tan A and tan B (no numbers given)

1. What is the definition of tangent in trigonometry?

Tangent is a trigonometric function that represents the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side in a right triangle. It is often abbreviated as tan.

2. How do you find the value of tangent without any given numbers?

Without any given numbers, the values of tangent cannot be determined. However, if the angles A and B are known, the values of tangent can be found by using a scientific calculator or by using trigonometric identities.

3. What is the relationship between tangent and sine/cosine?

Tangent is related to sine and cosine through the trigonometric identity tan A = sin A / cos A. This means that the tangent of an angle is equal to the sine of that angle divided by the cosine of that angle.

4. Can the values of tangent be negative?

Yes, the values of tangent can be negative. This happens when the angle is in the second or fourth quadrant of the coordinate plane. In these quadrants, the values of sine and cosine are negative, which results in a negative value for tangent.

5. How is tangent used in real-life applications?

Tangent is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. For example, it is used in calculating the angle of elevation or depression in surveying and in calculating the slope of a line in mathematics. It is also used in finding the distance of an object from its image in photography.