Trig and Unit Circles: Solving cos pi(t) + sin pi(t) = 0 for pi(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses ways to solve the equation cos pi(t) + sin pi(t) = 0 in order to determine the value of pi(t). One method is to plot points on the unit circle and another is to use inverse trig functions. However, the simplest solution is to realize that if cos(pi(t)) = 0, then the left hand side will not equal 0 and therefore does not satisfy the equation. This leads to the equation 1 + tan(pi(t)) = 0, which can be used to determine the value of pi(t).
teng125
is it possible to solve cos pi(t) + sin pi(t) = 0 for determining the value of pi(t)??
pls help

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. Think of it this way: you want values of [itex]\theta = pi(t)[/itex] on the unit circle such that [itex]\cos(\theta)=-\sin(\theta)[/itex].

ya,exactly what i wanted to find but i have thought of this way oso but from here i can't get to contiue already

Why not draw the unit circle and try a few points, see if that gives you any idea.

I think you just need to know your unit circle and values for the sin and cos. The only other way I can think of is trying to solve for pi(t) via inverse trig functions but I'm not getting any simplifications from Mathematica using that tactic.

If you want you could solve it algebraically by squaring both sides of cos x = -sin x and then expressing cos^2 x in terms of sin^2 x, then rearranging terms and using an inverse function, but that's more complicated than you need and it might make you miss one of the solutions if you're not careful. You can solve this one just by looking at the unit circle.

Or you may try to do the following:
If [tex]\cos (\pi (t)) = 0[/tex] then [tex]\sin (\pi (t)) = \pm 1[/tex]
So [tex]\cos (\pi (t)) + \sin (\pi (t)) = 0 \pm 1 = \pm 1 \neq 0[/tex]
That means if [tex]\cos (\pi (t)) = 0[/tex] then the LHS is not 0, and hence it does not satify the equation.
So it's true that [tex]\cos (\pi (t)) \neq 0[/tex].
Divide both sides of the equation by [tex]\cos (\pi (t))[/tex] to obtain:
[tex]1 + \tan (\pi (t)) = 0[/tex]
Now, can you go from here? :)

Related to Trig and Unit Circles: Solving cos pi(t) + sin pi(t) = 0 for pi(t)

What is Trigonometry and how is it related to Unit Circles?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between angles and sides of triangles. It is closely related to Unit Circles because it uses the unit circle as a tool to solve trigonometric problems.

What is a Unit Circle and how is it used in Trigonometry?

A Unit Circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit. It is used in Trigonometry as a reference circle to solve problems involving angles and sides of triangles. It has special properties that make it a useful tool in Trigonometry.

What are the key trigonometric functions used in Unit Circles?

The key trigonometric functions used in Unit Circles are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are defined by the ratios of the sides of a right triangle within the unit circle.

How is the Unit Circle divided and labeled?

The Unit Circle is divided into 360 degrees or 2π radians. It is labeled with the coordinates of points on the circle, the trigonometric functions, and the values of these functions for special angles.

What are some real-world applications of Trigonometry and Unit Circles?

Trigonometry and Unit Circles have many real-world applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and physics. They can be used to calculate distances, heights, and angles in various situations, such as measuring the height of a building or determining the trajectory of a projectile.