Tried to understand how we/ our universe came to be

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, Chronos is questioning the reliability of models, and whether or not they can be improved upon. He is also questioning the limits of what we can learn with the current methods.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
For some time now i have tried to understand how we/ our universe came to
be, i admit i sway this way and that, i wish i had some foundation to cling to,
but apart from some numbers, cosmology seems to be still (wide open) what
roots your feet in the standard or other models ?

Space news on Phys.org
wolram said:
For some time now i have tried to understand how we/ our universe came to
be, i admit i sway this way and that, i wish i had some foundation to cling to,
but apart from some numbers, cosmology seems to be still (wide open) what
roots your feet in the standard or other models ?

Are you questioning specific models, or modeling per se?
aguy2

I prefer a spacially and temporally infinite Universe to the BB model, with redshift arising from light losing energy to the transmissive media through which it propagates (the quantum vacuum). Such a universe would have no center of mass and no tendency to collapse. Olber's paradox is mooted by the fact that light arising from souces sufficiently distant is redshifted out of detectability.

aguy2 said:
Are you questioning specific models, or modeling per se?
aguy2

I have a few examples where maths leads observation, ie hawking radiation
and evaporating black holes, we have to assume the maths is correct,
AFAIK we have no way of observing them, also the size of the universe, one
has to use mathmatical models as we will most likely never be able to measure it, in other words, we may have some numbers that agree very well
with observation but there is allways a possiblity that they are wrong.

wolram said:
I have a few examples where maths leads observation, ie hawking radiation
and evaporating black holes, we have to assume the maths is correct,
AFAIK we have no way of observing them, also the size of the universe, one
has to use mathmatical models as we will most likely never be able to measure it, in other words, we may have some numbers that agree very well
with observation but there is allways a possiblity that they are wrong.
Modeling can be physical to. The animation of figure 3 is an example. The experiment had nothing to do with cosmology, but you can almost see the dipole/octipole perfered direction and other 'pole' sites suggested by the WMAP3 data.
http://www.physics.nmt.edu/~dynamo/PJRX/Results.html
aguy2

An interesting question, Wolram, but hard to answer. The Planck wall prevents us from probing the history of the universe before the first Planck tick of time. Physics, as we know it, falls apart at that point. Even quantum physics gets tied up in knots [or strings] at that point. Perhaps the creator is modest.

Chronos said:
An interesting question, Wolram, but hard to answer. The Planck wall prevents us from probing the history of the universe before the first Planck tick of time. Physics, as we know it, falls apart at that point. Even quantum physics gets tied up in knots [or strings] at that point. Perhaps the creator is modest.

Hi Chronos, i did not want to go into speculation and if this or that, more what is, or could be and end point to testing models, in my mind maths can be a double edged sword, (if it goes to far beyond observation) or physical testing, are we nearing the limits to what we can learn with the methods
we have, AFAIK gravity probe B may be the last big jump we can make for some time.

Related to Tried to understand how we/ our universe came to be

1. What is the Big Bang Theory?

The Big Bang Theory is a scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that the universe began as a singularity, an infinitely small and dense point, and expanded rapidly about 13.8 billion years ago. This expansion continues to this day, and is supported by evidence such as the cosmic microwave background radiation and the observed redshift of galaxies.

2. How did scientists come up with the theory of evolution?

The theory of evolution was first proposed by Charles Darwin in the 19th century. He observed that species change over time through a process called natural selection, in which individuals with advantageous traits are more likely to survive and pass on their genes. Since then, scientists have gathered evidence from fields such as genetics, paleontology, and biogeography to support and refine the theory of evolution.

3. Has the origin of life been explained by science?

The origin of life, or abiogenesis, is still a subject of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. While we have some understanding of how simple molecules could have formed on early Earth, the exact process by which these molecules came together to form the first living organisms is still unknown. Scientists continue to study this topic through experiments and simulations to gain a better understanding of the origins of life.

4. Are there other theories besides the Big Bang for the origin of the universe?

There are a few other theories that have been proposed for the origin of the universe, such as the steady state theory and the oscillating universe theory. However, the Big Bang Theory is currently the most widely accepted and supported explanation by the scientific community based on the available evidence. Ongoing research and advancements in technology may lead to new theories in the future.

5. How do we know what happened at the beginning of the universe?

Since we cannot observe or study events that occurred at the very beginning of the universe, scientists use a combination of theoretical models and observations of the universe today to make predictions and test their understanding of the early universe. These models are continuously refined and updated as new evidence and data become available, allowing scientists to gain a better understanding of the origins of our universe.