What is Meant by 'Outer' Differentiation in Vector Potential?

In summary, "outer" differentiation refers to the cross product of the gradient operator with a vector potential, which is used to calculate the magnetic field. It is sometimes referred to as the outer product, but this term may be unfamiliar to those not familiar with tensor jargon.
Creator
"outer" differentiation?

Since I didn't get a response on the "Diff. Eqns." thread, I put it here.

Can someone give me a clear explanation of what is meant by "outer" differentiation.

As for example, when we differentiate the vector potential, dA/dx, in order to arrive at the magnetic field, B, why would this be called an 'outer' differentiation??

[?]

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Creator
... when we differentiate the vector potential, dA/dx, in order to arrive at the magnetic field, B, why would this be called an 'outer' differentiation??
Probably because d/dx is not exactly what you do. You take the cross product of the gradient operator with the vector potential to get the magnetic field. The cross product is sometimes called/related to the outer product, but that's tensor jargon with which I am unfamiliar.

Thanks for the response, Turin;

and thanks for the correction. Oc course, you are accurate in saying it is the cross product of the gradient.
I guess then if someone says "dA/dt is the outer differentiation" I should interpret that to mean they are simply referring to it as being a cross product.??

:smile:

Originally posted by Creator
... if someone says "dA/dt is the outer differentiation" I should interpret that to mean they are simply referring to it as being a cross product.??
I would ask them what they mean. I wouldn't know how to make sense of that.

What is Outer Differentiation?

Outer differentiation is a mathematical operation that is used to determine the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. It is also known as the derivative.

What is the purpose of Outer Differentiation?

The purpose of outer differentiation is to find the slope or rate of change of a function at a specific point on its graph. It can also be used to find the maximum or minimum values of a function.

What is the difference between Outer Differentiation and Inner Differentiation?

Outer differentiation is when the function's independent variable is being differentiated, whereas inner differentiation is when the function's dependent variable is being differentiated.

What are some real-life applications of Outer Differentiation?

Outer differentiation has many real-life applications, such as in physics to calculate the velocity and acceleration of objects, in economics to determine the marginal cost and revenue of a company, and in engineering to analyze the rate of change of various parameters in a system.

Can I use Outer Differentiation to find the integral of a function?

No, outer differentiation and integration are inverse operations. While outer differentiation finds the rate of change of a function, integration finds the original function from its derivative.