Brother got his first teloscope

• Thread starter ignorant1
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation revolves around the topic of astronomy and good websites for learning about it. Some recommended sites include skyandtelescope.com, Lick Observatory's "Ask an Astronomer" site, Astronomy Picture of the Day, and nineplanets.org. The conversation ends with gratitude for the recommendations.

did you like this question?

• positively spiffing!

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • good

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • that was stupid!

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
ignorant1
Hi! Since my brother got his first teloscope, I've been obsessed with space. Now, as a Freshman in high school, i intend to expand my knowleledge. What are some good websites for this?:smile:

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Well, you surely know what websites they are! Google or yahoo can do the good for you, I think!

By the way, what question are you referring to? The poll question or the websites q.?

Welcome to Physics Forums ignorant1!

There are many, many great websites from which to learn about astronomy.http://skyandtelescope.com/news/ has a very readable news page; there are also several "Ask an Astronomer" sites, of varying quality; Lick Observatory's for example.

And there's Physics Forums too! :smile:

[Edit: I forget my favourite: Astronomy Picture of the Day]

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice! Now i won't have to get up at 4 in the morning to watch an outdated astronomy show...

What is a telescope?

A telescope is a scientific instrument that is used to observe objects in the sky, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It uses lenses or mirrors to gather and focus light, allowing us to see objects that are too far away to be seen with the naked eye.

How does a telescope work?

A telescope works by gathering and focusing light from distant objects using lenses or mirrors. The light is then magnified and brought to a focus point, where it can be observed by the viewer through an eyepiece or recorded by a camera.

What can be seen with a telescope?

A telescope can be used to observe a wide range of objects in the sky, including planets, stars, galaxies, and even comets and asteroids. It can also be used to study the moon and other celestial bodies in our solar system.

What are the different types of telescopes?

There are several types of telescopes, including refracting telescopes, which use lenses to gather light, and reflecting telescopes, which use mirrors. There are also specialized telescopes, such as radio telescopes and x-ray telescopes, which are used to observe different wavelengths of light.

What is the best way to use a telescope?

The best way to use a telescope is to carefully set it up and make sure it is properly aligned with the object you want to observe. It's also important to use the appropriate eyepiece and to make sure the telescope is in a stable position. It's also a good idea to do some research on the object you want to observe beforehand to enhance your viewing experience.