Tricky Path Difference Problem in waves, help (attachment)

In summary, the conversation discusses a tricky path difference problem in waves and asks for help with part (d) of the question. The first three questions of part (c) are solved with answers provided, but the participant is having trouble understanding how to approach the questions in part (d). They mention that the answer for d(i) involves finding the difference in wavelengths due to the presence of plastic, but they still need clarification on the reasoning. The conversation ends with the participant expressing gratitude for the help received.

how should i do this problem?

• using visual interpretations and say that it follows logically

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • using equations to analyse it

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
ihatephysics0
Tricky Path Difference Problem in waves, help! (attachment)

Homework Statement

check the attachment

Homework Equations

none needed for part (d)

The Attempt at a Solution

the first three questions of part (c) i got them out. answers were

(c) (i) 2x10 ^8 ms–1
(ii) 3.33333x10^–7 m
(iii) 30

BUTTTT i can't seem to understand how to do both questions in part (d). Any help?? please!
Any thorough and logical reasoning with answer would be best as i need to understand how to do these questions (before exams come!). thanks :)

Attachments

• Physics exam - 2003_pagenumber.001.png
    Physics exam - 2003_pagenumber.001.png
    15.3 KB · Views: 479
Physics news on Phys.org

Isn't c iii also the answer to d i?
For d ii, what affect has the plastic had on the path length through that slit to any given point on the screen?

haruspex said:
Isn't c iii also the answer to d i?
For d ii, what affect has the plastic had on the path length through that slit to any given point on the screen?
er... to be honest I'm really unsure about this question, it's still vague. Can you please provide some reasoning to why it should be the same for d (i) ? and yes i know the effect but i cannot arrive at a definite and certain conclusion for d (ii)?

the answer for d (i) says
"The plastic region would normally have 20 wavelengths across it, but when present 30
wavelengths would exist. Hence 10 extra wavelengths have been introduced by using the
plastic, so p.d. = 10" i still need clarification on this...

ihatephysics0 said:
the answer for d (i) says
"The plastic region would normally have 20 wavelengths across it, but when present 30
wavelengths would exist. Hence 10 extra wavelengths have been introduced by using the
plastic, so p.d. = 10" i still need clarification on this...
Ah yes, I forgot to subtract the number of wavelengths for the airspace replaced by the plastic. So indeed: 30 through the plastic, 20 through the corresponding section of path through the other slit: resulting difference for a point equidistant (as measured by a ruler) from both slots = 10 wavelengths.
That said, there is a possible ambiguity in the question. It refers to "the centre of the fringe pattern". Now, is that the centre of the pattern as it was without the plastic (or equivalently, the centre of the screen as defined by the positions of the slits), or is it the new centre of pattern based on how the fringes now appear? I think they mean the old centre, but it should be clearer.
OK, so it's added 10 for the path to the centre, so what has it done to paths to other points on the screen?

haruspex said:
Ah yes, I forgot to subtract the number of wavelengths for the airspace replaced by the plastic. So indeed: 30 through the plastic, 20 through the corresponding section of path through the other slit: resulting difference for a point equidistant (as measured by a ruler) from both slots = 10 wavelengths.
That said, there is a possible ambiguity in the question. It refers to "the centre of the fringe pattern". Now, is that the centre of the pattern as it was without the plastic (or equivalently, the centre of the screen as defined by the positions of the slits), or is it the new centre of pattern based on how the fringes now appear? I think they mean the old centre, but it should be clearer.
OK, so it's added 10 for the path to the centre, so what has it done to paths to other points on the screen?

ah i think we are finally on the same wavelength (giggle), it makes sense now. thank you so much! if i could hug you i would! and the last question is pretty easy to answer, thanks again!

Related to Tricky Path Difference Problem in waves, help (attachment)

1. What is a tricky path difference problem in waves?

A tricky path difference problem in waves refers to a problem that involves determining the difference in distance traveled by two waves that have reached a specific point from two different sources. This difference in distance is known as the path difference and can affect the interference pattern of the waves.

2. How do you approach solving a tricky path difference problem in waves?

To solve a tricky path difference problem in waves, you need to first identify the sources of the waves and the point at which the path difference needs to be determined. Then, you can use the formula path difference = distance between sources x sin(angle between sources and point) to calculate the path difference.

3. What are some common mistakes people make when solving tricky path difference problems in waves?

One common mistake is not considering the angle between the sources and the point accurately. Another mistake is using the wrong formula or not accounting for the wavelength of the waves. It is also important to pay attention to the direction of the waves and whether they are in phase or out of phase.

4. Can you provide an example of a tricky path difference problem in waves and its solution?

Example: Two speakers are placed 2 meters apart and emit sound waves with a wavelength of 0.5 meters. A listener is standing 6 meters away from one speaker. What is the path difference at the listener's location?

Solution: The distance between the speakers is 2 meters, and the angle between the speakers and the listener is 90 degrees. Therefore, the path difference is 2 meters x sin(90 degrees) = 2 meters.

5. How can understanding tricky path difference problems in waves be useful in real-life situations?

Understanding tricky path difference problems in waves can be useful in various fields, such as acoustics, optics, and radio frequency technology. It can help in designing and optimizing sound and light systems, as well as in communication systems that rely on wave interference. It is also relevant in medical imaging technologies, such as ultrasound and MRI, which use waves to create images of the body.