Tricky Partial Fractions Question

In summary, the speaker is seeking suggestions for their partial fraction decomposition for two equations and also asks for tips on solving another equation. They provide their own attempted solutions for reference.
ardentmed
Hey guys,

Here is another pair of questions that I'm doubting at the moment:
View attachment 2798

I used partial fractions for A and got (Bx+C)/x^2 + Ax/(x-1)^2 + Dx(x-1) which led me to compute A=1, B=0, C= -1, and D=0, which already sounds off. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Also, for 5b, I calculated B= -1, C=-1, A=2, and a final answer of 2ln(x) - (1/2)ln(x^2 + 3) - (1/3) tan^-1(x/√3) + C. Any tips for this one?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the help.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    3.3 KB · Views: 46
Physics news on Phys.org
ardentmed said:
Hey guys,

Here is another pair of questions that I'm doubting at the moment:
View attachment 2798

I used partial fractions for A and got (Bx+C)/x^2 + Ax/(x-1)^2 + Dx(x-1) which led me to compute A=1, B=0, C= -1, and D=0, which already sounds off. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Also, for 5b, I calculated B= -1, C=-1, A=2, and a final answer of 2ln(x) - (1/2)ln(x^2 + 3) - (1/3) tan^-1(x/√3) + C. Any tips for this one?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate the help.

For the first I would use as my partial fraction decomposition:

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{1}{ x^2 \left( x - 1 \right) ^2} \equiv \frac{A}{x} + \frac{B}{x^2} + \frac{C}{x -1 } + \frac{D}{ \left( x - 1 \right) ^2} \end{align*}$

For the second

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \frac{x^2 - x + 6}{x \left( x^2 + 3 \right) } &\equiv \frac{A}{x} + \frac{B\,x + C}{x^2 + 3} \end{align*}$

Related to Tricky Partial Fractions Question

1. What is a partial fraction?

A partial fraction is a mathematical expression that represents a rational function as a sum of simpler fractions. It is often used to simplify complex algebraic expressions.

2. How do you solve a tricky partial fractions question?

To solve a tricky partial fractions question, you need to follow a few steps. First, factor the denominator to determine the form of the partial fraction. Then, set up equations to determine the unknown coefficients. Finally, solve the equations to find the values of the coefficients and simplify the expression.

3. Can you give an example of a tricky partial fractions question?

One example of a tricky partial fractions question is: (2x+3)/(x^2+5x+6). This expression can be simplified into: 1/(x+2) + 1/(x+3). The tricky part is determining the values of the coefficients in the simplified expression.

4. When do you use partial fractions in science?

Partial fractions are commonly used in science when dealing with complex algebraic expressions. They are especially useful in engineering, physics, and chemistry when solving equations or simplifying mathematical models.

5. Are there any tips for solving tricky partial fractions questions?

One tip for solving tricky partial fractions questions is to carefully factor the denominator and make sure you have the correct form of the partial fraction. Another tip is to set up equations for the unknown coefficients and solve them systematically. It is also helpful to practice with different examples to improve your understanding of the concept.