Tricky integral and nasty Maple

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of a complex integral using Maple software. It also delves into the concept of the Hurwitz zeta function and its notation. The main focus is on the evaluation of a sum related to the derivative of the Hurwitz zeta function, which is ultimately achieved through differentiation and substitution. The conversation ends with a mention of the eta function of Dirichlet, which is commonly denoted as \eta .
dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Let's say i feed Maple with this baby

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{x\ln x}{1+e^{x}}dx [/tex]

After some thinking he gives me

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{x\ln x}{1+e^{x}}dx = \frac{1}{12}\left( \ln 2\right) \pi ^{2}+\frac{1}{12}\pi ^{2}-\frac{1}{12}\pi ^{2}\gamma+\frac{1}{2}\zeta \left( 1,2\right) [/tex]

I say OK, even though i don't understand who [itex] \zeta \left( 1,2\right) [/itex] is. Is it Hurwitz zeta function ? If so, then it should diverge...:rolleyes: Anyway, the same software tells me that

[tex] \zeta \left( 1,2\right) = -.\,93754\,82543 [/tex]

So i say OK again, even though I'm not satisfied with what zeta stands for...

But that's not the issue. The issue is that I'm putting my head to work to do that integral and i get

[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty }\frac{x\ln x}{1+e^{x}}dx = \frac{\pi ^{2}}{12}\left( 1-\gamma \right) -\sum_{k=0}^{\infty }\left[ \left( -\right) ^{k}\frac{\ln \left( k+1\right) }{\left( k+1\right) ^{2}}\right] [/tex]

So I'm thinking that the nasty sum should equal the 2 terms above, the one with the natural logarithm and the other with the dubious zeta function. But when i feed Maple with the sum, he doesn't return anything...

So what the heck? Dumb software, i figure... He woudn't give me not even an aproximate numerical value of the sum...:mad:

So the question is: any ideas on how to evaluate the sum...?

Daniel.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had no problem with getting Maple to evaluate your sum. The two expressions are equal.

Sorry if these questions are silly, but ...

Did you use evalf?

Did you use add (not sum)?

I didn't use standard Maple,but an ancient version (5.3 i guess) implemented in Scientific WorkPlace 2.5.

I don't write code, i drag & drop symbols, so your questions, unfortunately don't help...

BTW, is that Hurwitz zeta function, or not...? If so, then it must be the notation from Andrews, Askey & Roy's book that would apply and not the one from Whittaker & Watson. The difference btw the 2 is the reversed order of arguments. However, let's say we adopt the former notation. Then

[tex]\zeta (1,2) =\zeta (2)= \frac{\pi^{2}}{6}\neq 0.9375... [/tex]

So it's still unclear...

Daniel.

Excerpt from Maple v10 help files:

The call Zeta(n, z) gives the nth derivative of the Zeta function, Zeta(n,z) = diff(Zeta(z), z$n)

hence [tex]\zeta(1,2) = \zeta^{\prime}(2)[/tex]

Thanks for the input on the zeta function.

Daniel.

I'm a big fan of Scierntific Workplace, and I even use it to write posts for these forums. I have an ancient (Maple) version of Scientific Workplace, but not as ancient as your version.

My version evalutes numerically your expression, but I couldn't just use the greek letter gamma for this. I copied and pasted into your expression the gamma that Scientific Workplace spat out when I asked it to do the original integral.

I am not very familiar with these special functions, or with standard notations for them.

zeta prime sums

notice that your sum

[tex]-\sum_{k=0}^{\infty }\left[ \left( -\right) ^{k}\frac{\ln \left( k+1\right) }{\left( k+1\right) ^{2}} = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty }\left[ \left( -\right) ^{k}\frac{\ln \left( k\right) }{k^{2}} [/tex]

is related to the derivative of the zeta function:

Let [tex]\zeta (s)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^s}[/tex] and [tex]\hat{\zeta} (s)=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k^s}[/tex] since

[tex]\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^s}+\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k^s} = 2^{1-s}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^s}[/tex]​

so that

[tex]\zeta (s)+\hat{\zeta} (s) = 2^{1-s} \zeta (s) \Rightarrow \hat{\zeta} (s) =\left( 1- 2^{1-s}\right) \zeta (s) [/tex]​

differentiating w.r.t. s, we have

[tex]\frac{d}{ds}\hat{\zeta} (s) = \frac{d}{ds}\left[ \left( 1- 2^{1-s}\right) \zeta (s) \right][/tex]

or

[tex] \frac{d}{ds}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k}{k^s}= 2^{1-s}\log (2) \zeta (s) + \left( 1- 2^{1-s}\right) \zeta^{\prime} (s) [/tex]

in terms of sums

[tex] \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{(-1)^k\log (k)}{k^s} = 2^{1-s}\log (2) \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^s} + \left( 1- 2^{1-s}\right) \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{\log (k)}{k^s} [/tex]

to get your sum, set s=2.

Funny, I've done the same calculations by myself. Thx for the effort, though. And [itex] \hat{\zeta} [/itex] is commonly denoted by [itex] \eta [/itex] and is called the eta function of Dirichlet.

Daniel.

Related to Tricky integral and nasty Maple

1. What is a tricky integral and how does Maple help with solving it?

A tricky integral is a mathematical expression that is difficult to solve using traditional methods. Maple is a powerful computational software that uses algorithms and mathematical functions to solve tricky integrals quickly and accurately.

2. Can Maple handle integrals with multiple variables or complex functions?

Yes, Maple can handle integrals with multiple variables and complex functions. It has a built-in library of mathematical functions and advanced algorithms that can handle a wide range of integrals.

3. Are there any limitations to Maple's ability to solve tricky integrals?

While Maple is a powerful tool for solving tricky integrals, it may not be able to solve every integral. Some integrals may require manual intervention or additional mathematical knowledge to solve.

4. Is there a learning curve for using Maple to solve tricky integrals?

Yes, there is a learning curve for using Maple to solve tricky integrals. It is a complex software with many features and functions, so it may take some time to become proficient in using it for integral calculations.

5. Can Maple provide step-by-step solutions for tricky integrals?

Yes, Maple can provide step-by-step solutions for tricky integrals. It has a feature called "Step-by-Step Solutions" that shows the steps used to solve the integral, making it easier for users to understand and learn the process.