UCLA or Berkeley for undergrad physics?

In summary, both UCLA and Berkeley have great physics programs and are equally good for undergraduates.
TheDude710
Hello all, I have to decide between UCLA and berkeley for undergrad physics. I would rather go to UCLA for social reasons, but i know berkeley is a great school for physics(im sure UCLA isn't half bad either). My question is how important is the school for undergrad. i know for grad school the college really makes a difference but I am not sure for undergrad. Any help will be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
TheDude710 said:
Hello all, I have to decide between UCLA and berkeley for undergrad physics. I would rather go to UCLA for social reasons, but i know berkeley is a great school for physics(im sure UCLA isn't half bad either). My question is how important is the school for undergrad. i know for grad school the college really makes a difference but I am not sure for undergrad. Any help will be great.
A friend of mine got his physics degree at UC Berkely, but his CS master's degree at California State University at Chico. He has something like 8 US patents in his name through HP (where he works) the guy's pretty darn smart and a great dancer. :biggrin:

My ex left Yale to attend Dartmouth because it was more of a party school. He spent more time playing bleets than studying. Do you want to study or party?

For undergraduate work they are both great. LA has more hot girls. Berkeley is a really cool area to live in.

edit- Where you go for undergraduate study doesn't matter nearly as much as most people think. You can go to a mediocore college and, if you do really well, get into a top graduate program. My sister spent two years at a state college in Utah and two years at UCSC. She has a very nice fellowship at Yale right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank for the opinions guys... and ucla does have hot girls

1. Which school has a better overall reputation for physics?

Both UCLA and Berkeley have excellent reputations for their undergraduate physics programs. Both schools are highly ranked in the field of physics and have produced numerous successful physicists.

2. Are there any notable differences in the curriculum between UCLA and Berkeley for physics?

Both schools offer a strong foundation in physics, but there may be slight differences in the specific courses offered. It is recommended to review the course catalogs for both schools to see which program aligns more closely with your interests and career goals.

3. What are the research opportunities like for undergraduate physics students at UCLA and Berkeley?

Both schools offer extensive research opportunities for undergraduate physics students. UCLA has several research centers and institutes, while Berkeley has a renowned physics research institute. It is recommended to reach out to professors or advisors at both schools to inquire about specific research opportunities.

4. Is there a significant difference in the quality of faculty at UCLA and Berkeley for physics?

Both schools have highly qualified and accomplished faculty in the field of physics. It is recommended to research the faculty members at both schools and see if their areas of expertise align with your interests.

5. Which school has a better location for studying physics?

This may depend on personal preference, as both schools are located in California and have access to a variety of research facilities and opportunities. However, Berkeley is located in the San Francisco Bay Area, which has a strong presence in the technology and science industries, while UCLA is located in Los Angeles, which has a strong presence in the entertainment industry.