Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question

In summary: If one child is accelerating upward while climbing up the rope, what does that say about the tension, in comparison to the force of gravity?Two equal-weight kids each hang from the ends of a rope passing over a weightless, frictionless pulley. If one child accelerates up the rope, what happens to the other?The Attempt at a SolutionAt first, Tricky believed that if one goes up, then the other will also go up, creating an equilibrium. However, after thinking about the tension of the rope and the classical: two-horses-pulling-on-a-rope problem, he realized that this does not seem right. Instead, it is the only explanation
I Like Pi
Tricky Theoretical Thinking Question

Homework Statement

Two equal-weight kids each hang from the ends of a rope passing over a weightless, frictionless pulley. If one child accelerates up the rope, what happens to the other?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At first, I believed that if one goes up, then the other will also go up, creating an equilibrium.

Then I thought about the tension of the rope and the classical: two-horses-pulling-on-a-rope problem. If the tension is the same, and one climbs up, shouldn't the other just stay where he/she is? Though this doesn't seem right, its the only one i can explain using physics. It would be the same if one side of the rope was tied to an object, right? Then the tension would also be the same, supporting my second belief..

I hope someone could help me out :redface:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you drawn free-body diagrams, one for each kid?

What does the upward acceleration for kid #1 tell you about the net force, and therefore about the tension in the rope?

Use the fact that the tension is the same throughout the rope's length, and think about the net force on kid #2.

Redbelly98 said:

What does the upward acceleration for kid #1 tell you about the net force, and therefore about the tension in the rope?

Use the fact that the tension is the same throughout the rope's length, and think about the net force on kid #2.

Well.. I know for kid #1, his net force = force applied - force of gravity, while for the kid, his net force is basically the force of gravity, for that's the only force applied on him :confused:

I don't get how i can explain this

thanks so much for your time though

Besides gravity, there is 1 other force acting on each kid.

The kids don't simply fall to the ground. Something prevents them from falling, and that thing is what provides a force other than gravity. What is that thing?

Redbelly98 said:
Besides gravity, there is 1 other force acting on each kid.

The kids don't simply fall to the ground. Something prevents them from falling, and that thing is what provides a force other than gravity. What is that thing?

well its the them hanging on?

it starts with a n and ends with an l

and is also known as t*****n

I Like Pi said:
well its the them hanging on?
Yes. Both kids are hanging on to the rope. So, besides gravity, the rope tension also acts on each kid.

yes, i know tension is acting on them. so since the second kid exerts a downward force, it results in an upward force on kid 2? Since both forces are the same, they would again result in equilibrium?

Yes, the other force is the rope tension.

But, this is not a case of equilibrium, which would mean a net force of zero on each child. That is not what is going on here, they tell you one child is accelerating so the net force is definitely not zero for that child.

If one child is accelerating upward while climbing up the rope, what does that say about the tension, in comparison to the force of gravity? (Tension and gravity are the 2 forces acting on the child.)

Redbelly98 said:
Yes, the other force is the rope tension.

But, this is not a case of equilibrium, which would mean a net force of zero on each child. That is not what is going on here, they tell you one child is accelerating so the net force is definitely not zero for that child.

If one child is accelerating upward while climbing up the rope, what does that say about the tension, in comparison to the force of gravity? (Tension and gravity are the 2 forces acting on the child.)

Well for kid 1 i got, FT-Fg1 = ma1, while for the other i got Ft-Fg+Fa = ma2, but this confuses me..

I Like Pi said:
Well for kid 1 i got, FT-Fg1 = ma1, while for the other i got Ft-Fg+Fa = ma2, but this confuses me..
What is Fa? There is only gravity and rope tension here.

Redbelly98 said:
What is Fa? There is only gravity and rope tension here.

The applied force? Well, I know that when that kid exerts a downward force, it results in an upward force on the other kid.

But the kids are not touching each other. The only way they can apply a force on each other is through the rope tension, which is already accounted for by the Ft terms.

Take the Fa out of your equation in Post #10, and compare ma1 and ma2.

Related to Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question

1. What is "Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question"?

"Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question" is a concept in which thought experiments and hypothetical scenarios are used to challenge or expand one's traditional way of thinking. It is often used in scientific research and critical thinking exercises.

2. How does "Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question" benefit scientific research?

"Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question" can help scientists come up with new ideas and solutions by challenging their existing beliefs and thought patterns. It also encourages critical thinking and creativity in problem-solving.

3. Are there any risks associated with "Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question"?

There is a risk that "Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question" may lead to ideas that are not practical or realistic. It is important for scientists to use this approach in a controlled and focused manner to avoid wasting time and resources on unfeasible ideas.

4. How can "Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question" be applied in everyday life?

"Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question" can be used in everyday life to challenge one's own beliefs and assumptions. This can lead to personal growth and a better understanding of the world around us.

5. What are some examples of "Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question" in action?

Some examples of "Tricking Theoretical Thinking Question" include thought experiments like Schrödinger's cat, hypothetical scenarios in ethical debates, and brainstorming sessions in scientific research teams.