Why is current given the symbol 'I' instead of 'C'?

In summary, the designation of "I" for current can be traced back to the 1827 formulation of Ohm's law, where "intensity" was used to describe the strength of a current. It is also proper to use "A" for amperes as the label for current, as "A" is the unit of measurement for current. Additionally, the symbol "V" is used for volts, while "C" represents Coulombs and "R" represents resistance.
NJones
At my school we are currently investigating Currents & Electricity and me and my teacher would like to know why Current was giving the symbol 'I' instead of say 'C' more so when Volts is given 'V' and Amps is giving 'A'.

Both of us would really like someone to shed some light onto this matter.

Physics news on Phys.org
does anyone acutally know...

i was talking to my teacher again and we have started thinking it is latin like AU being Gold in the periodic table

"Why is current designated "I"? The usage goes back to 1827 formulation of Ohm's law. Ohm found that the "intensity" of a current through a load is directly proportional to the emf of source driving the current."

Source: http://www.ieee.org/organizations/history_center/faqs.html# "I"

Also as a note: C stands for Coulombs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by NJones
At my school we are currently investigating Currents & Electricity and me and my teacher would like to know why Current was giving the symbol 'I' instead of say 'C' more so when Volts is given 'V' and Amps is giving 'A'.

Both of us would really like someone to shed some light onto this matter.

Amps and current are the same thing.

It is proper to state as follows:

E = 10V
I = 10A

E and I are the symbols, but V and A are the labels.

Could also be stated:

"The voltage equals 10 volts."
"The current equals 10 amperes."

Concerning resistance:

R (resistance) = 1 <Omega symbol> (can't figure out how to make it)

NJones,
The capital letter "I" came from the word "intensite" (missing an accent over the last "e"). It is the French word for current.

Originally posted by Doc
Amps and current are the same thing.

It is proper to state as follows:

E = 10V
I = 10A

E and I are the symbols, but V and A are the labels.

Could also be stated:

"The voltage equals 10 volts."
"The current equals 10 amperes."

Concerning resistance:

R (resistance) = 1 <Omega symbol> (can't figure out how to make it)

Amps and Current is not the same thing.

Amps is the measure of current

Like miles is a measure for length

Anyway the other two posts helped with my question. So thanks a lot dduardo & BoulderHead

Originally posted by NJones
Amps and Current is not the same thing.

Amps is the measure of current

Like miles is a measure for length

Anyway the other two posts helped with my question. So thanks a lot dduardo & BoulderHead

Isn't that more of less what I stated when I said that: "E and I are the symbols, but V and A are the labels." ?

The way you first stated it it made it sound like they were 2 totally different properties of electricity.

The definition of an ampere is x number of electrons going past a point in one second. The ampere is a rate that can be compared to gallons per minute in a pipe. The definition of current would be the movement of matter (water for instance in a river) down a medium. In the case of electricity, it would be electrons moving down a conductor.

So you're split'n hairs. It is proper to say: "The maximum current allowed before the conductor melts is 5 amperes." It is also proper to say: "The maximum amperage allowed before the conductor melts is 5 amperes."

Hey if YOU'RE going to get technical on me, then well what can I say?

Don't bother thanking me for my post, you didn't on the last one.

1. What is an electric current?

An electric current is the flow of electric charge through a conductor, such as a wire. It is caused by the movement of electrons, which have a negative charge, from a region of high potential energy to a region of lower potential energy.

2. How is electric current measured?

Electric current is measured in units called amperes (A). One ampere is equal to the flow of one coulomb of charge per second. This can be measured using a device called an ammeter.

3. What is the difference between direct and alternating current?

Direct current (DC) is a type of current where the flow of electrons is in one direction. It is commonly used in batteries and electronic devices. Alternating current (AC) is a type of current where the flow of electrons periodically switches directions. It is used in most household and industrial electrical systems.

4. How is electric current related to voltage and resistance?

Electric current can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). This means that as voltage increases, current also increases, but as resistance increases, current decreases.

5. What are some practical uses of electric currents?

Electric currents have many practical uses, including powering electronic devices, lighting homes and buildings, and running motors and other machinery. They are also used in medical equipment, communication systems, and transportation systems.