Quantum Chemistry: Interested in Learning?

In summary, the conversation discussed the idea of creating a thread focused on Quantum Chemistry. There was a suggestion to include resources such as lectures and textbooks, but it was ultimately decided that the level and textbook do not matter. The main focus is to generate interest and share helpful links.
Turtle
I think it would be great having a thread devoted to Quantum Chemistry. Is anyone interested in learning Quantum Chemistry?

Biology news on Phys.org
Not an inherently bad idea for a thread, but at what level are you thinking that the thread is directed?

Should everyone first take a look at, for example, http://zopyros.ccqc.uga.edu/lec_top/lectures.html before we start? Should we pick a commonly used textbook such as Levine or such?

I'm willing to help out with my collection of links if anyone is in fact interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
All levels, and the textbook really doesn't matter does it?

No, the level doesn't matter, nor does the textbook, I was just wondering if you had anything specific in mind for either of those two categories, or if you wanted to direct the thread in any specific direction.

Nothing specific.

1. What is quantum chemistry?

Quantum chemistry is a branch of chemistry and physics that studies the behavior of matter at a molecular and atomic level, using principles and concepts from quantum mechanics.

2. Why is quantum chemistry important?

Quantum chemistry is important because it helps us understand the fundamental behavior of matter at the smallest scale, and how this behavior affects the properties and reactions of molecules. It also plays a crucial role in fields such as materials science, drug design, and nanotechnology.

3. What are some real-world applications of quantum chemistry?

Quantum chemistry has a wide range of applications, including drug discovery, materials design, and understanding chemical reactions in industrial processes. It is also used in fields such as biochemistry, environmental science, and astrophysics.

4. Do I need to have a strong background in physics to learn quantum chemistry?

While a basic understanding of physics is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in physics to learn quantum chemistry. Some knowledge of chemistry and mathematics is more important for understanding the principles and calculations involved in quantum chemistry.

5. What are some resources for learning quantum chemistry?

There are many resources available for learning quantum chemistry, including textbooks, online courses, and research papers. Some universities also offer courses or programs specifically focused on quantum chemistry. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, chemistry, and physics before diving into quantum chemistry.