Tribology:Numerical solution of finite Journal Bearing-Reynolds condition.

In summary, the Reynolds equation can be solved using the finite difference method, and the boundary conditions and discretization scheme depend on your specific application and accuracy requirements.
nanunath
Hi...:)

I need help as to how to solve the Reynolds equation:
[tex]\partial[/tex]h/[tex]\partial[/tex]t - [tex]\partial[/tex]((h3/12n)*[tex]\partial[/tex]p/[tex]\partial[/tex]x) - [tex]\partial[/tex]((h3/12n)*[tex]\partial[/tex]p/[tex]\partial[/tex]z) + [tex]\partial[/tex](U0*h*.5)/[tex]\partial[/tex]x + [tex]\partial[/tex](W0*h*.5)/[tex]\partial[/tex]z = 0
For a finite journal bearing assuming [tex]\partial[/tex]h/[tex]\partial[/tex]t = 0
And W0 = 0
The eqn becomes :

- [tex]\partial[/tex]((h3/12n)*[tex]\partial[/tex]p/[tex]\partial[/tex]x) - [tex]\partial[/tex]((h3/12n)*[tex]\partial[/tex]p/[tex]\partial[/tex]z) + [tex]\partial[/tex](U0*h*.5)/[tex]\partial[/tex]x = 0

Plz help me as to how I can account the "Reynolds condition" :
p(0) = 0
p([tex]\theta[/tex]2) = 0
[tex]\partial[/tex]p/[tex]\partial[/tex][tex]\theta[/tex]2 = 0
in the numerical soultion.

Also which discretization scheme would be better?
(i-(1/2)), (i + (1/2)) and (j -(1/2)), (j + (1/2))
or
i+1, i-1 and j+1, j-1

{PS: i in X direction , j in Z direction, and h varies only in X direction}

Plz help...:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The Reynolds equation can be solved using the finite difference method. To account for the Reynolds condition, you need to set up the boundary conditions. The boundary conditions state that p(0) = 0, p(θ2) = 0 and ∂p/∂θ2 = 0. So, at the boundaries (i.e. at x=0 and x=θ2), you have to set the values of p accordingly.As for which discretization scheme is better, it depends on your application and the accuracy you require. The i-(1/2), (i + (1/2)) and (j -(1/2)), (j + (1/2)) scheme is more accurate than the i+1, i-1 and j+1, j-1 scheme. However, the i+1, i-1 and j+1, j-1 scheme is simpler and easier to implement.

Related to Tribology:Numerical solution of finite Journal Bearing-Reynolds condition.

1. What is tribology?

Tribology is the study of friction, wear, and lubrication of interacting surfaces in relative motion.

2. What is a finite journal bearing?

A finite journal bearing is a type of bearing where the length of the bearing is limited, unlike a full journal bearing which extends the entire length of the shaft.

3. What is the Reynolds condition in journal bearings?

The Reynolds condition in journal bearings refers to the critical speed at which the lubricant film between the shaft and the bearing becomes unstable and causes increased friction and wear.

4. How is the Reynolds condition solved numerically?

The Reynolds condition can be solved numerically by using mathematical models and computational methods to simulate the behavior of the lubricant film in the bearing under different conditions.

5. Why is the numerical solution of finite journal bearing important?

The numerical solution of finite journal bearing is important because it allows for the optimization of bearing design and operation to reduce friction, wear, and potential failures, thus improving the overall performance and lifespan of machinery and equipment.