Tribology Engineering: VG 110 Oil vs 100cSt Viscosity

• Thread starter Patrick Jago
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, the conversation was about determining the equivalent viscosity between VG 110 oil and 100cSt and whether it can be swapped without any formula. It was also mentioned that VG110 is an unusual grade and typically ISO 3448 grade values are given for nominal kinematic viscosity. The dynamic viscosity can be calculated by multiplying the density and kinematic viscosity. There was also a question about the specific gravity of the oil.
Patrick Jago
Would I be right in thinking that VG 110 oil would be equal to 100cSt ... is it a straight swap or is there any formula. I'm trying to determine the dynamic viscosity

Engineering news on Phys.org
Patrick Jago said:
Would I be right in thinking that VG 110 oil would be equal to 100cSt ... is it a straight swap or is there any formula. I'm trying to determine the dynamic viscosity
I believe VG110 would be an unusual grade. Typically, when referencing an ISO 3448 grade, the value for the nominal kinematic viscosity (in mm2/s) is given, so the minimum kinematic viscosity is 100 mm2/s. 1 cst = 1 mm2/s

http://www.viscopedia.com/viscosity-tables/substances/iso-viscosity-classification/
http://www8-hou.chevronmarineproducts.com/docs/Chevron_InfoBulletin06_ViscosityClass_v1013.pdf

The dynamic viscosity is simply the product of the density and kinematic viscosity, i.e., μ = ρ ν.

Does one know the specific gravity of the oil?

Thanks

Related to Tribology Engineering: VG 110 Oil vs 100cSt Viscosity

1. What is Tribology Engineering?

Tribology Engineering is the study of interacting surfaces in relative motion and the principles of friction, wear, and lubrication.

2. What is VG 110 Oil?

VG 110 Oil is a type of industrial lubricant that is designed to have a specific viscosity grade of 110. It is used in machinery and equipment to reduce friction and wear between moving parts.

3. What is 100cSt Viscosity?

100cSt Viscosity is a measurement of the viscosity, or thickness, of a fluid. It is commonly used to describe the thickness of industrial oils and lubricants, with higher numbers indicating a thicker viscosity.

4. What is the difference between VG 110 Oil and 100cSt Viscosity?

VG 110 Oil and 100cSt Viscosity are related but not interchangeable terms. VG 110 Oil refers to a specific type of oil with a viscosity grade of 110, while 100cSt Viscosity is a measurement of the thickness of the oil. It is possible for a different type of oil, such as VG 100, to have a viscosity of 100cSt.

5. Which is better for lubrication, VG 110 Oil or 100cSt Viscosity?

The answer to this question depends on the specific application and machinery being used. In general, a higher viscosity oil, like VG 110, may be better for heavier loads and high temperatures, while a lower viscosity oil, like 100cSt, may be better for lighter loads and lower temperatures. It is important to consult with a tribology engineer to determine the best lubricant for a particular situation.