Quantum Physics: electron within the nucleus.

In summary, the question involves calculating the smallest allowed energy of an electron trapped inside an atomic nucleus with a diameter of 1.4x10^-14 meters. This can be done using the Uncertainty Principle, where the size of the nucleus is used to calculate the smallest allowed momentum and then the smallest allowed kinetic energy. This resulting energy is compared to the several MeV of energy binding protons and neutrons inside the nucleus. Based on this comparison, it is unlikely that we would find electrons within the nucleus.
frankR
Calculate the smallest allowed energy of an electron were trapped inside an atomic nucleus of diameter 1.4x10^-14 meters. Compare this number with the several MeV of energy binding protons and neutrons inside the nucleus. On this basis, should we expect to find electrons within the nucleus?

I'm experiencing some confusion regarding what this statement is asking.

Do I assume that the question pertains to a one proton nucleus, under the Bohr model? However it states energies between protons and neutrons so the Bohr model must not pertain to the question.

I can find the electric potential of the electron if I know how many protons are contained within the nucleus. Do I use:

r = roA1/3 to find the number of protons?

Thereafter use U = k q1*q2/r to find the potential. Is this how this is done.

The correct answer should be 1900MeV.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it has nothing to do with protons.

I think they just want you to use a 'potential well'. Meaning V(r) = 0 if r <= R, and V(r) = [oo] if r > R.

Originally posted by frankR
Calculate the smallest allowed energy of an electron were trapped inside an atomic nucleus of diameter 1.4x10^-14 meters.

OK

Do I assume that the question pertains to a one proton nucleus, under the Bohr model? However it states energies between protons and neutrons so the Bohr model must not pertain to the question.

No, I think this is a simple exercise in using the Uncertainty Principle. You have a &Delta;x (the size of the nucleus). From that you can calculate a &Delta;p, which is the smallest allowed momentum. From that you can calculate the smallest allowed KE.

Tom: You're correct, I got 1995MeV.:smile:

1. What is the electron-nucleus interaction in quantum physics?

The electron-nucleus interaction in quantum physics is the force between the negatively charged electrons and the positively charged protons in the nucleus of an atom. This interaction is responsible for holding the atom together and determining its properties.

2. How does quantum physics explain the electron's position within the nucleus?

According to quantum mechanics, the position of the electron within the nucleus cannot be precisely determined. Instead, it is described by a probability distribution, which gives the likelihood of finding the electron at a certain location.

3. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and how does it relate to the electron within the nucleus?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This applies to the electron within the nucleus as its position and momentum are constantly changing due to its quantum nature.

4. How does the electron's energy level affect its behavior within the nucleus?

The energy level of an electron within the nucleus determines the probability of its presence in a certain location. Electrons with higher energy levels are more likely to be found further away from the nucleus, while electrons with lower energy levels are more likely to be found closer to the nucleus.

5. Can the electron within the nucleus exist in multiple places at once?

According to quantum mechanics, the electron within the nucleus exists in a state of superposition, meaning it can exist in multiple places at once. This is due to the wave-like nature of electrons and is a fundamental principle of quantum physics.