Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trigonometry triangle ratio question

DeusAbscondus

Jun 30, 2012
(Plse bear with me: until i learn how to fly this thing, / must stand for radical)

If the side ratio for a 30:40:90 deg right triangle are 1 : /3 : 2
then, is the following true:

one may multiply this ratio by 1,2,3 or 5,6,7,8,9 or 10 and the pythagorean identity obtains but NOT by 4

If so, why not?

Thx,
Godfree

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
(Plse bear with me: until i learn how to fly this thing, / must stand for radical)

If the side ratio for a 30:40:90 deg right triangle are 1 : /3 : 2
then, is the following true:

one may multiply this ratio by 1,2,3 or 5,6,7,8,9 or 10 and the pythagorean identity obtains but NOT by 4

If so, why not?

Thx,
Godfree
A right triangle cannot have 30 and 40 degrees for its other two angles, in fact if the side rations of a triangle are \(1,\ \sqrt{3},\ 2\) then it is a 30,60,90 degree triangle

CB

DeusAbscondus

Jun 30, 2012
Thank's Cap'n; it was an arithmetic error, that was all....
I'll be more careful before posting next time.... sheeesh, i wasted 4 hours looking at this today, and kept making the same tiny error in my math....
Anyway, i heartily concur with Epicurius' sentiments and, by inference, your core values: i find a lot in common with non-believers, with atheists actually (why be coy) but I'm constantly amazed at how people (like my teacher) can do higher maths and still believe in invisible friends in the sky, and hold a young earth model in the same brain. Enough off-topic.
Thanks again,