Troubleshooting USB Port Issues: How to Fix and Use on Your Computer

• Thread starter fizz5678
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Usb
In summary, the conversation was about a person experiencing problems with their computer after reformatting the hard disk. They were specifically having trouble with their USB port not being recognized. They provided information about their system and the errors they were receiving. Suggestions were given, such as flashing the BIOS and uninstalling/reinstalling the USB drive, to try and resolve the issue. The person later updated that they were able to fix the problem and now need to update their Windows in order to install the Easy CD software.
fizz5678
:frown: I am currently having probs with my computer, the hard disk had to be reformatted but now the machine doesn't recognise there is a USB port, all ideas gratefully recieved?! (have no ideas about computers!) but need the USB port for the CDRW.

Thanks! :smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
fizz5678,
Greetings, and welcome to PF !

Tell us more about your system if you would. For instance;
1) What operating system are you using? (some don't recognize USB)
2) Did any special driver CD come with your external drive?

-BH

More Information!

Thanks for the reply, maybe i should have added more detail!

I have had the CDRW working, but then my computer died and required formatting. Now, the thing won't recognise the USB port.

Here's all the info i know (have no idea what's relevant and what's not so thought i would share it all with you!)

CyrixInstead
Cyrix MII (tm)

Under system properties, there is all the usual things, then:
PCI ethernet ? (yellow question arrow) and then it says that the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)

Then under Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
then there's one of those yellow question marks,
under Device status it says:

Windows stopped responding while attempting to start this device and therefore it will never attempt to start this device again (Code 11)

Re Disks,

I have the original disk which came with the computer, this has a USB folder, and inside are:

Cusbsupp (and application)
Eusbsupp, and within this is (Oemusb and Usbsupp which are applications, MSirport, Msports and infrared which are all .inf files)

Sorry that turns out to be an essay! [zz)]

Would be grateful of any suggestions, someone has suggested taking the USB drive out and putting it back in again, would this work? Sounds daft to me!

Thanks you all!

Originally posted by fizz5678
Thanks for the reply, maybe i should have added more detail!

I have had the CDRW working, but then my computer died and required formatting. Now, the thing won't recognise the USB port.

Here's all the info i know (have no idea what's relevant and what's not so thought i would share it all with you!)

CyrixInstead
Cyrix MII (tm)

Under system properties, there is all the usual things, then:
PCI ethernet ? (yellow question arrow) and then it says that the drivers for this device are not installed (code 28)

Then under Universal Serial Bus Controllers:
VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
then there's one of those yellow question marks,
under Device status it says:

Windows stopped responding while attempting to start this device and therefore it will never attempt to start this device again (Code 11)

Re Disks,

I have the original disk which came with the computer, this has a USB folder, and inside are:

Cusbsupp (and application)
Eusbsupp, and within this is (Oemusb and Usbsupp which are applications, MSirport, Msports and infrared which are all .inf files)

Sorry that turns out to be an essay! [zz)]

Would be grateful of any suggestions, someone has suggested taking the USB drive out and putting it back in again, would this work? Sounds daft to me!

Thanks you all!

Here are a few thoughts: You might try flashing the BIOS. You may even have a BIOS upgrade waiting for you. Next, I can see the logic of uninstalling and then reinstalling the USB drive as this may allow Windows to see this as a new device and then to reinstall things properly. Finally, there are viruses that can do things like this. I don't know if this could apply to you, but I lost a computer this way. Windows completely failed and the thing no longer knew that it had a CD drive. I couldn't install Windows again as a result; and I could do nothing to restore the information. I had me locked out at every turn.

Oops! Thanks!

(sorry posted the first message in the wrong place!)

Thanks!

Wohoo! Thanks for your help, I had a go at the computer last night, and managed somehow to sort it, so now the E: drive s recognised and all is well.

Now i somehow have to update windows in order to install the Easy CD software, but have no internet connection in halls at uni,

But thanks lots, wohoo!

Fizz

:smile:

1. Why is my USB port not working?

The most common reasons for USB port issues include outdated drivers, physical damage, or a malfunctioning USB device. It could also be due to a software or hardware problem with your computer.

2. How can I fix a malfunctioning USB port?

To troubleshoot a malfunctioning USB port, you can try restarting your computer, updating your drivers, checking for physical damage, and trying a different USB device. If none of these solutions work, it may be necessary to take your computer to a professional for repair.

3. What does it mean if my computer does not recognize my USB device?

If your computer does not recognize your USB device, it could be due to a faulty USB port, outdated drivers, or a malfunctioning USB device. It could also be caused by a compatibility issue between the USB device and your computer.

4. How do I update my USB drivers?

To update your USB drivers, you can go to the Device Manager in your computer's Control Panel. Find the USB section and right-click on the device you want to update. Then, click on "Update driver" and follow the prompts to complete the process.

5. How can I prevent USB port issues in the future?

To prevent USB port issues, make sure to regularly update your drivers, handle your USB devices with care, and avoid using damaged or faulty USB devices. It is also a good idea to periodically clean your USB ports to remove any dust or debris that may be causing connectivity issues.