Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem

In summary, the problem involves an isosceles-triangle-shaped ladder with negligible mass and a man with mass m climbing it to a height of 3 meters. Using equilibrium conditions and torque, the tension of the link between the sides of the ladder is determined by drawing separate free body diagrams for the man and each leg of the ladder. The angle Θ is left undetermined and Rx and Ry components are used to calculate the forces.
terryds

Homework Statement

http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzebnqpmgdnohmgo.png

An isosceles-triangle-shaped ladder like the picture above, has a negligible mass. A man with mass m kg climb the ladder till the height is 3 meter (see picture above).
Determine the tension of the link (at horizontal position in the picture) between the sides of ladder.

Homework Equations

ΣF = 0
Στ = 0 (τ is moment)[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn the free body diagram
http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzbotpidknnxeqfp.png

I didn't draw the gravitational force of the ladder since the ladder mass is negligible.

∑Fx = 0
N4 = N3

ΣFy=0
N1+N2+Nman - Wman = 0

Then I don't know what to do.. Please help me

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since each side of the ladder is an inclined plane, some of the man's weight will exert forces parallel to the ground. Find the angle the triangle is from the ground, and use cosine to find the parallel force.

The legs of the ladder are joined by the hinge at the top. The normal forces between the hinge and the legs of equal magnitude, and of opposite direction, but not sure if they are horizontal.
The man presses the ladder, but the normal force Nman acts on the man.
You have to write the equilibrium conditions separately for both legs of the ladder.

ladder.jpg

thenickman100 said:
Since each side of the ladder is an inclined plane, some of the man's weight will exert forces parallel to the ground. Find the angle the triangle is from the ground, and use cosine to find the parallel force.
The ladder is not like two inclined planes. It has steps, they are about horizontal. The man stands on one step.

ehild said:
View attachment 78678The ladder is not like two inclined planes. It has steps, they are about horizontal. The man stands on one step.

good point. Try solving using torque. Earth is the fulcrum, and the link counteracts the torque exerted by the man.

thenickman100 said:
Try solving using torque. Earth is the fulcrum, and the link counteracts the torque exerted by the man.
I see you are new here. Welcome. If you want to help other people, try to solve the problem before giving (wrong) hints. You forget the other leg. And the torque of both the link and the weight of the man abut point A are clockwise.

ehild said:
The legs of the ladder are joined by the hinge at the top. The normal forces between the hinge and the legs of equal magnitude, and of opposite direction, but not sure if they are horizontal.
The man presses the ladder, but the normal force Nman acts on the man.
You have to write the equilibrium conditions separately for both legs of the ladder.

Is my free body diagram correct ?
So, I can neglect the normal force between the hinge and legs, right ?
So, the FBD is
http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzltagsnmkekgnnx.png

Right ?
Or are there more forces that I can neglect ?

The system is not a single rigid body, so you need the FBD-s separately for all pieces.
The simplest is the man: its weight is counteracted by the normal force of the ladder step.
The two legs of the ladder are separate rigid bodies, but they interact at the hinge.
Draw the FBD for both legs. What forces act on the right leg, and what forces act at the left leg?

ehild said:
The system is not a single rigid body, so you need the FBD-s separately for all pieces.
The simplest is the man: its weight is counteracted by the normal force of the ladder step.
The two legs of the ladder are separate rigid bodies, but they interact at the hinge.
Draw the FBD for both legs. What forces act on the right leg, and what forces act at the left leg?

http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzjigctgexdcnmht.png

Hmmm..
I'm not sure this is right..
Since the left leg FBD I drew has no left direction force to balance the tension
And the right leg FBD I drew has no downward and right direction force to balance the tension and normal force.

I think there must be forces to balance those.
The contact force between hinge and the legs will balance it, right ?
So, is this the correct FBD ?
http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzsqxpksqgspttgf.png

Is it right or do I miss something ?

It is almost right now, but remove the force Nman. It acts on the man, not on the ladder leg. The opposite to Nman acts on the ladder, but it is equal to the weight of the man. And the two upward normal forces from the ground are not equal. Use different notations.

So, it's going to be like below, right ?
http://www.sumoware.com/images/temp/xzrqtoencmtbpebg.png

Yes, it is right now.

ehild said:
Yes, it is right now.

I suppose that the angle Θ is the angle between floor and the leg

By the left leg,
∑Fx = 0
R sin Θ - T = 0
T = R sin Θ

∑Fy = 0
N1 + R cos Θ - W = 0
R cos Θ = W + N1

By the right leg,
ΣFx = 0
R sin Θ - T = 0
T = R sin Θ

∑Fy = 0
N2 - R cos Θ = 0
R cos Θ = N2

Then, I get
N2 = W + N1

I choose the hinge as the fulcrum, so
Torque at the left leg
∑τ = 0
N1 cos Θ . 4 - T sin Θ . 2 - W cos Θ . 1 = 0

And sin Θ is √17 / 4, cos Θ is 1/4
Till this point, is it right ?

terryds said:
I suppose that the angle Θ is the angle between floor and the leg

What do you mean on angle Θ? If it the angle of the force R with respect to horizontal, you can not assume it is the same the leg encloses with the floor.
Let it undetermined, with Rx and Ry components.

ehild said:
What do you mean on angle Θ? If it the angle of the force R with respect to horizontal, you can not assume it is the same the leg encloses with the floor.
Let it undetermined, with Rx and Ry components.

Okay, so
By the left leg,
∑Fx = 0
Rx - T = 0
T = Rx

∑Fy = 0
N1 + Ry - W = 0
Ry = W + N1

By the right leg,
ΣFx = 0
Rx - T = 0
T = Rx

∑Fy = 0
N2 - Ry = 0
Ry = N2

Then, I get
N2 = W + N1

I choose the hinge as the fulcrum, so
Torque at the left leg
∑τ = 0
N1 sin Θ . 4 - T sin Θ . 2 - W cos Θ . 1 = 0
2 T sin Θ = 4 N1 sin Θ - W cos Θ
4 N1 sin Θ = 2 T sin Θ + W cos Θ
N1 = 0.5 T + (0.25 W / tan Θ)

Torque at the right leg
Στ = 0
T sin Θ . 2 - N2 sin Θ . 1 = 0
2 T sin Θ = N2 sin Θ
2 T sin Θ = (W + N1) sin Θ
2 T = mg + 0.5 T + (0.25 W / tan Θ)
1.5 T = mg + (mg / 4 tan Θ)
1.5 T = mg ( 4 tan Θ + 1) / 4 tan Θ
T = 2 mg( 4 tan Θ + 1) / 12 tan Θ
T = mg (4 tan Θ + 1) / 6 tan Θ

tan Θ is √17

So, T = mg ( 4√17 +1) / 6√17

Is it right ?

What is theta? N1 and N2 are vertical, T is horizontal. The torque is the force multiplied by the lever arm - the distance of the line of action from the fulcrum. You can find them from the given geometric data.

Likes terryds
ehild said:
What is theta? N1 and N2 are vertical, T is horizontal. The torque is the force multiplied by the lever arm - the distance of the line of action from the fulcrum. You can find them from the given geometric data.
Thanks.. I've got it now

Well done then! :)

Related to Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem

1. What is the Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem?

The Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the stable equilibrium positions of a ladder leaning against a wall in the shape of a right triangle. The ladder is assumed to have uniform density and is free to pivot at the base and the top.

2. What makes the Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem challenging?

The Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem is challenging because there are multiple variables involved, including the length and weight of the ladder, the angle of the wall, and the position of the center of mass. Additionally, the problem requires finding the exact angles at which the ladder will be in equilibrium, making it a complex mathematical problem.

3. How is the Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem solved?

The Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem is typically solved using trigonometry and the principles of statics. By setting up and solving equations based on the forces acting on the ladder, the equilibrium angles can be determined.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem?

The Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem has practical applications in architecture and engineering. It can be used to determine the stability of ladders and scaffolding systems, as well as the optimal angles for positioning ladders against walls or other structures.

5. Are there any limitations to the Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem?

While the Triangle Ladder equilibrium problem provides a theoretical solution, there are limitations to its practical application. Factors such as wind, uneven ground, and the flexibility of the ladder can affect the stability and equilibrium angles in real-world scenarios. Therefore, it is important to consider these limitations when using the solution to the problem.