Molecular Biology of the Cell by Alberts et al: Get the CD-ROM!

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a reference book on Molecular Biology of the Cell written by a group of authors. The book has a humorous aspect to it and is highly recommended for anyone interested in Cell Biology. The CD-ROM accompanying the book has animations and additional content. However, the CD-ROM may be prone to breaking and the speakers suggest contacting the store or manufacturer for a replacement.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There is this reference book called 'Molecular Biology of the Cell', written by a bunch of authors. The funny thing is that these scientist have found a place for humor in writing the book (some 1500 pages)..

Another God, you have the same book right? Do you also have the CD-ROM and did you have a look at it? Yesterday evening I was looking at the animation of ATP synthase, which is very nicely done (chapter 14.1 on the CD). I then went to the next chapter 14.2 ATP-synthase--disco..

It had me laughing out loud! It is a bunch of Japanese scientists testing the model.. with a very nerdy disco dance! lol

I can very highly recommend this book to anyone interested in Cell Biology, it is very easy to read and includes about everything what you'd like to know, make sure you get the CD-ROM too though!

Biology news on Phys.org
Also, all the authors are featured in a face-morphing clip in the appendix of the CD-ROM :) it is nice to get to know your teachers..

http://www.garlandscience.com/MBoC4/about.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Wooow, they even give whole chapter for free..

http://www.garlandscience.com/MBoC4/spreads.html

Last edited by a moderator:
... ...

:frown: sometime between my buying the book and all the carrying around of it I did for a while, I managed to crack the CD which was still in the back cover :frown:, so when I did finally get around to going to look at it, it was broken.

Another God! Do you still have the receipt? Go back to the store and demand a new CDROM or write the company!

The reason I am saying this is that my CD-ROM was broken too, after carrying it home and unpacking it. I called the store, explained the problem, they had another book lying around, they checked (as much as was possible with the plastic wrapping around the book) and that CDROM was intact. That day I traveled all the way back to the store (some 4 hours in total traveling time) I was about to run off with the new book, but the alert salesperson proposed to open the wrapping and check the CDROM first.

Guess what: It was broken too!

So all the traveling for nothing, but I gave them my address and they were going to send me a new CDROM (not broken one) when they could get their hands on it. After a few weeks it arrived.

So the broken CD is not your fault, but the manufacturer's.

Originally posted by Monique
Another God! Do you still have the receipt? Go back to the store and demand a new CDROM or write the company!

The reason I am saying this is that my CD-ROM was broken too, after carrying it home and unpacking it. I called the store, explained the problem, they had another book lying around, they checked (as much as was possible with the plastic wrapping around the book) and that CDROM was intact. That day I traveled all the way back to the store (some 4 hours in total traveling time) I was about to run off with the new book, but the alert salesperson proposed to open the wrapping and check the CDROM first.

Guess what: It was broken too!

So all the traveling for nothing, but I gave them my address and they were going to send me a new CDROM (not broken one) when they could get their hands on it. After a few weeks it arrived.

So the broken CD is not your fault, but the manufacturer's.

WOO HOO... I'll give it a try then.

but I don't know what they will say, since I bought it almost a year ago now.

Just approach the company/manufacturer directly. Do you still have the broken CD-ROM ?

1. What is the main focus of "Molecular Biology of the Cell" by Alberts et al?

The main focus of "Molecular Biology of the Cell" is to provide a comprehensive and up-to-date understanding of the structure, function, and processes of cells at the molecular level.

2. How is the information in this book organized?

The information in this book is organized into five major sections: introduction to the cell, basic genetic mechanisms, internal organization of the cell, cells in their social context, and cells in experimental systems.

3. What is the benefit of using the CD-ROM version of this book?

The CD-ROM version of "Molecular Biology of the Cell" offers additional features such as interactive quizzes, animations, and video clips that enhance the learning experience and make the complex concepts easier to understand.

4. Who is the target audience for this book?

This book is primarily aimed at undergraduate and graduate students studying molecular biology, but it can also be a valuable resource for researchers, educators, and professionals in the field.

5. Is this book suitable for those with no prior knowledge of molecular biology?

Yes, "Molecular Biology of the Cell" is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for readers with no prior knowledge of molecular biology. However, some basic understanding of biology and chemistry would be beneficial.

Back