Treatise on Probability - Keynes

• Thread starter where_the
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, there is a book called "Treatise on Probability" written in 1921 that some people do not consider relevant because it has few equations and mostly text. The author also argues that some probabilities are not numerically measurable, such as when we say "probably it will rain today". The general consensus on the author's theory of probability in modern academic circles is not clear, but the author, Keynes, is better known for his works on economics.
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't consider this book relevant. Not because it's old, but because I browsed the book and only saw 10 equations and the rest all text...

Ya. you are right about the equations part.

But I found the book a bit weird because the author maintains that some probabilities are not numerically measurable.

For ex - according to the author it doesn't make sense to talk about the probability numerically when we say "probably it will rain today".

Hence I wanted to know what the general consensus is on his theory of probability in modern academic circles.

I guess Keynes is more famous for his works on economics.

Related to Treatise on Probability - Keynes

What is the "Treatise on Probability - Keynes"?

The "Treatise on Probability - Keynes" is a book written by British economist John Maynard Keynes in 1921. It is a highly influential work in the field of economics, particularly in understanding the concept of probability and its application in economic decision-making.

What are the main arguments presented in the "Treatise on Probability - Keynes"?

The main argument presented in the "Treatise on Probability - Keynes" is that probability is a subjective concept, influenced by individual judgment and experience. Keynes also argues that traditional probability theories, such as those based on the laws of chance, are limited and do not accurately reflect real-world situations.

How does the "Treatise on Probability - Keynes" impact economic theory?

The "Treatise on Probability - Keynes" has had a significant impact on economic theory, particularly in the field of decision-making under uncertainty. Keynes' ideas on subjectivity and probability have influenced the development of behavioral economics and prospect theory, which have challenged traditional economic theories based on rationality and perfect information.

What criticisms have been made about the "Treatise on Probability - Keynes"?

One of the main criticisms of the "Treatise on Probability - Keynes" is that it lacks mathematical rigor and precision. Some have also argued that Keynes' emphasis on subjectivity and the limitations of traditional probability theories can lead to inconsistent and unreliable economic predictions.

How does the "Treatise on Probability - Keynes" relate to Keynesian economics?

The "Treatise on Probability - Keynes" is not directly related to Keynesian economics, which primarily focuses on macroeconomic theories and policies. However, some of Keynes' ideas on probability and decision-making have been applied in the field of behavioral economics, which has influenced the development of Keynesian economics. Additionally, Keynes' work on probability has been cited as an influence on his later work, "The General Theory of Employment, Interest and Money".