Traverse E wave travel Time on wires

In summary, the problem is asking for the time it takes for a transverse wave to travel down a 30.0m steel wire and a 20.0m copper wire that are connected end to end and stretched to a tension of 150N. The equations used are the volume of a rod, velocity, and the relationship between distance, time, and velocity. However, the approach of averaging the two velocities is incorrect and the correct answer is 0.329 seconds, not 3.93 x 10^11 seconds.
Husker70

Homework Statement

A 30.0m steel wire and a 20.0m copper wire, both with 1.00mm diameter,
are connected end to end and stretched to a Tension of 150N. How
long does it take a transverse e wave to travel the entire length of
the two wires?

Homework Equations

Voulume of Rod = pie r^2(L)
v = sqrrt T/mass per unit length
v = dt/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the volume of the steel rod to be pie(.0001m)^2(30.0m) = 9.42x10^-7 m^3
I found the volume of the copper rod to be pie(.0001m)^2(20.0m) = 6.42x10^-7 m^3

I looked up the density of steel to be 7850 kg/m^3
I looked up the density of copper to be 8230 kg/m^3

The weight of steel rod should be 9.42x10^-7 m^3/7850 kg/m^3 = 1.2 x 10^-10 kg
Then divide by 30.0m = 4.0x10^-10 kg/m

The weight of copper rod should be 6.28 x 10^-7 m^3/8230 kg/m^3 = 7.63 x 10^-11 kg
Then divide by 20.0m = 3.82 x 10^-12 kg/m

Using V = sqrrt T/mass unit of length

Steel wire is sqrrt 150N/4.0 x 10^-12 kg/m = velocity of steel = 6.12 x 10^6 m/s
Copper wire is sqrrt 150N/3.82 x 10^-12 kg/m = velocity of copper = 3.93 x 10^13 m/s

I added them together amd divided by 2 to get an average of 1.97 x 10^13 m/s
across the whole wire. Then divided that number by 50.0m to get 3.93 x 10^11s

I know that isn't right as the answer is .329s
I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
That "shortcut" of averaging the two velocities is a common misconception, but wrong. Even if the wires were the same length!

How long does it take the wave to travel down the steel part?
How long does it take the wave to travel down the copper part?

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It seems like you have the right equations and are on the right track, but there are a few errors in your calculations that are leading to an incorrect answer.

Firstly, when calculating the weight of the steel and copper rods, you should be using the volume of the wire (given by the formula you listed) and not the length of the wire. This will give you the correct mass for each wire, which is needed in the equation for velocity (v = sqrt(T/mass per unit length)).

Secondly, when calculating the velocity for each wire, you are using the incorrect values for the mass per unit length. Instead of dividing by the length of the wire, you should be dividing by the volume of the wire (which you have now corrected). This will give you the correct velocities for each wire.

Lastly, when finding the average velocity, you should be using the harmonic mean formula (1/v_avg = (1/v1 + 1/v2)/2) instead of simply averaging the velocities. This will give you the correct average velocity for the entire wire.

By making these corrections, you should be able to arrive at the correct answer of 0.329s. It is always helpful to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct values and equations. Keep up the good work!

Related to Traverse E wave travel Time on wires

1. What is Traverse E wave travel time on wires?

Traverse E wave travel time on wires is the time it takes for an electrical signal to travel through a wire from one end to the other. This is an important factor to consider in the design and functioning of electrical systems.

2. How is Traverse E wave travel time on wires calculated?

The Traverse E wave travel time on wires can be calculated by dividing the distance between the two ends of the wire by the speed of the electrical signal. The speed of the signal is dependent on the type of wire and the electrical properties of the material it is made of.

3. Why is Traverse E wave travel time on wires important?

Traverse E wave travel time on wires is important because it affects the overall performance and efficiency of electrical systems. A longer travel time can result in delays and signal loss, while a shorter travel time can improve the speed and reliability of the system.

4. How does temperature affect Traverse E wave travel time on wires?

Temperature can affect the speed of an electrical signal, which in turn can impact the Traverse E wave travel time on wires. As temperature increases, the speed of the signal also increases, resulting in a shorter travel time. This is an important consideration in high-temperature environments.

5. Can Traverse E wave travel time on wires be reduced?

Yes, Traverse E wave travel time on wires can be reduced by using certain techniques and materials. For example, using higher quality wires with lower resistance can decrease the travel time. Additionally, using shorter wire lengths and minimizing the number of connections can also help reduce the travel time on wires.