Travel patterns distributions of a sample representative of a population?

In summary, there is a need to prove that the travel patterns distributions of a sample of 80 families for 2 years is representative of the general population. Factors such as geography and socio-economic status should be considered to determine if the sample is truly representative.
bradyj7
Travel patterns distributions of a sample representative of a population??

Hi,

I was hoping that somebody might be in a position to advise me on a problem that I have.

I am recording the travel patterns of a car for 80 different families for 2 years. Specifically I am recording the following:

1.Journey Start Times
2.Journey End Times
3. Distances
4. No. of journeys per day

Is there a method by which I could investigate/prove that the distributions of these variables are representative of the general population?

I would appreciate any comments or feedback.

Look forward to hearing form you.

Thanks

John

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You need to show that the 80 families is a representative sample of the population of interest. Factors are geography, socio-economic status, etc.

Related to Travel patterns distributions of a sample representative of a population?

1. What is the purpose of studying travel patterns distributions of a sample representative of a population?

The purpose of studying travel patterns distributions is to gain insight into the behavior and movement of individuals within a population. This information can be used to inform transportation planning, urban development, and other related fields.

2. How is the sample representative of the population?

The sample is chosen through a process of random sampling, where each individual in the population has an equal chance of being selected. This ensures that the sample is a fair representation of the entire population and can provide accurate information about their travel patterns.

3. What factors are taken into consideration when analyzing travel patterns distributions?

When analyzing travel patterns distributions, factors such as mode of transportation, frequency and distance of travel, purpose of travel, and demographic information of the individuals are taken into consideration. This helps to paint a comprehensive picture of the travel behavior of the population.

4. Are there any limitations to studying travel patterns distributions of a sample representative of a population?

Yes, there can be limitations to this type of study. The sample size may not be large enough to accurately represent the entire population, and there may also be bias in the sample selection process. Additionally, external factors such as weather or special events may affect travel patterns and cannot always be accounted for.

5. How can the findings from this study be applied in real-world scenarios?

The findings from this study can be used to make informed decisions and policies related to transportation and urban planning. For example, if the study shows that a large portion of the population uses public transportation, resources can be allocated to improve and expand public transportation systems. Additionally, the information can also be used to identify areas where there is a need for new infrastructure or changes in existing infrastructure to better accommodate the travel patterns of the population.