Travel at 0.5c & Observe Redshifted Light Traveling at c

In summary, if we were to travel in a spaceship at 0.5c away from our sun, the light from the sun would appear red shifted. However, in another inertial frame, the same light may appear blue shifted. This is due to the fact that the speed of light remains constant in all inertial frames, but its energy can vary. Under Galilean relativity, the red shifted light would travel away from the spaceship at the speed of light, but under Einstein's relativity, time dilation, length contraction, and the relativity of simultaneity would make the measurements of the speed of light invariant. This has been extensively tested and is covered in all introductions to special relativity.
Frederick T
It's come to my attention that if we were to travel in a spaceship at 0.5c directly away from our sun, I would observe that the light from the sun as being red shifted. What I would also observe was that this red shifted electromagnetic wave would in fact travel away from me in the spaceship traveling at 0.5c at the speed of light with its new redshifted properties. I would be lead to conclude that light does not, in fact, have a speed limit, but the speed limit exists only as a spacetime limitation to the inertial frame of reference.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can conclude that. Light travels at the same speed in all inertial frames. What you observe as red shifted light ie lower energy might be observed in another inertial frame as blue shifted light and yet it’s the same light, the same photons. In all cases, the speed is the speed of light but the energy is different.

Frederick T said:
What I would also observe was that this red shifted electromagnetic wave would in fact travel away from me in the spaceship traveling at 0.5c at the speed of light with its new redshifted properties.
No you would not. This would be true under Galilean relativity, but that is not an accurate description of reality. You need to use Einstein's relativity, and time dilation, length contraction, and the relativity of simultaneity conspire to make your measurements of the speed of light invariant. This has been extensively tested - see the FAQ linked in the sticky thread in this forum.

This is covered in all introductions to SR.

Edit: having read Nugatory's and Dale's responses below, it's possible I'm misreading the OP. The above response may or may not be relevant to the question actually being asked.

Last edited:
Frederick T said:
wave would in fact travel away from me in the spaceship traveling at 0.5c at the speed of light with its new redshifted properties.
The syntax is a bit tangled here, but if what you mean is:
1) relative to the earth, the spaceship is moving at .5c and the flash of light is moving at c.
2) relative to the spaceship, the Earth is moving backwards at .5c and the flash of light is moving at c.
then you have it right.

Frederick T said:
What I would also observe was that this red shifted electromagnetic wave would in fact travel away from me in the spaceship traveling at 0.5c at the speed of light with its new redshifted properties
I don’t understand what you mean to say here. Can you please clarify?

1. How is it possible to travel at 0.5c?

Traveling at 0.5c means moving at half the speed of light, which is about 149,896,229 meters per second. While this may seem impossible, it is actually achievable through the use of advanced propulsion systems and spacecraft design.

2. What does redshifted light mean?

Redshifted light refers to the phenomenon where the wavelength of light appears to be stretched and shifted towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. This occurs when an object emitting light is moving away from the observer at high speeds, causing a Doppler effect.

3. How does traveling at 0.5c affect the observation of redshifted light?

If an observer is traveling at 0.5c, they will see the redshifted light as if it is traveling at the speed of light, c. This is because the observer's frame of reference is moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light, causing time dilation and altering their perception of time and distance.

4. Is traveling at 0.5c the same as traveling at the speed of light?

No, traveling at 0.5c is not the same as traveling at the speed of light. While both are incredibly fast, traveling at the speed of light is the theoretical limit in the universe and is currently not possible for physical objects.

5. What are the implications of traveling at 0.5c and observing redshifted light?

Traveling at 0.5c and observing redshifted light can have important implications for studying the universe and its expansion. It allows us to gather information about distant objects and their movements, providing insights into the behavior of the universe on a larger scale.