Trapping Supercooled Atoms with Light Trap Optics

In summary, the electric field in the trap has a formula: \vec{E(x)}=E_0(1-\frac{x^2}{x_0^2})\vec{e_z}
Hamal_Arietis

Homework Statement

Scientists want to trap the supercooled atoms (atoms have low thermal energy). They create an electric field by the interference of some laser beams. In the center of the trap, the electric field has fomula:
[tex]\vec{E(x)}=E_0(1-\frac{x^2}{x_0^2})\vec{e_z}[/tex]
With values: [tex]E_0=5000V/m;x_0=5\mu m[/tex]
At t=0, a Rubidi atom [tex]^{87}_{37} Rb[/tex] moves along x-axis with velocity [tex]v=0.1mm/s[/tex]
When atom goes to coordinates x=0, the trap is turned on. Consider architecture of Rb that a balloon has a nuclear which is covered by electron cloud (Rutherford's model). Supposed that in electric field, electron cloud isn't transfigured, but nuclear and central point of electron cloud are moved. So that dipole moment isn't equal 0.
With R=2.5A and these values, describe the motion of Rb. Find the maxcimum velocity of atom that it is trapped when the trap is turned on.

Homework Equations

F=qE

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have any attempt in this problem because there are any force along x-axis, the force just appears along z-axis. And I don't understand this phenomenon. At first, I think the atom will oscillate but it is wrong!

Sorry because my English isn't good. I will pleasure if you check my mistake.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure the field is supposed to be in the z direction and not in the x direction?

Why it appear in x-axis? Because E equation direct along z axis

Hamal_Arietis said:
Why it appear in x-axis? Because E equation direct along z axis
I am suggesting that the ##\vec{e_z}## in the expression for the electric field is a mistake in the question, and it should be ##\vec{e_x}##.

In any case, perhaps a good place to start with this problem would be to consider the potential energy of a dipole in an electric field. Can you write an expression for the potential energy of this atom in the given electric field?

Once you know the potential energy, what is the relationship between that potential energy and the force on the dipole?

One other question: I don't know what ##R=2.5A## refers to in your statement of the problem.

No ##\vec{E}## directs z-axis because there have 3 questions. First, find the dielectric polarization. Second, estimate the radius of Rb. Then the final question, We have R=2.5A, find the maximum velocity (the started question). I finished 2 question and can't solve the last quétion.

I don't think I can help with this. If it is true that the electric field is in the z direction, then it seems to me that an atom traveling in the x direction will not be trapped. Any net force on the dipole will be in the z direction, not the x direction.

It is possible that I've missed something and this is incorrect.

Related to Trapping Supercooled Atoms with Light Trap Optics

What is a "Webpage Trapping Supercooled Atoms with Light Trap Optics"?

A "Webpage Trapping Supercooled Atoms with Light Trap Optics" is a type of scientific experiment that involves using light trap optics to capture and manipulate supercooled atoms. This technique allows scientists to study the behavior of atoms at extremely low temperatures, which can provide valuable insights into the properties and interactions of matter.

How does the light trap optics work in trapping supercooled atoms?

The light trap optics work by using a combination of laser beams and magnetic fields to create a stable trap for the supercooled atoms. The laser beams are used to cool the atoms to near absolute zero, while the magnetic fields are used to confine the atoms in a specific location. This allows scientists to study the atoms without them escaping or interacting with their surroundings.

What are the potential applications of trapping supercooled atoms with light trap optics?

The potential applications of trapping supercooled atoms with light trap optics are vast and varied. This technique can be used to study fundamental physics, such as quantum mechanics and atomic interactions. It can also be used in the development of new technologies, such as quantum computing and precision sensors.

What are the advantages of using light trap optics over other trapping techniques?

There are several advantages to using light trap optics for trapping supercooled atoms. One major advantage is that it allows for precise control and manipulation of the atoms, which is crucial for studying their behavior. Additionally, light trap optics can trap atoms for longer periods of time compared to other techniques, which allows for more in-depth experiments.

Are there any limitations or challenges in using light trap optics for trapping supercooled atoms?

While light trap optics has many advantages, there are also some limitations and challenges to using this technique. One limitation is that it can only trap certain types of atoms, such as alkali atoms. Additionally, the setup and maintenance of the equipment can be complex and expensive, making it challenging for some research facilities to implement this technique.