Transverse wave problem. It's a doozy

In summary, the problem involves finding the frequency, period, wavelength, and wave speed of a transverse wave described by the equation y(x,t)=(2 m) sin[(174.5 s -1)t - (22.44 m-1) x]. The angular frequency is 174.5, which can be related to the regular frequency and period. Additional equations are needed to solve for the other variables.
Mr. Sinister
Transverse wave problem... It's a doozy!

Homework Statement

A certain transverse wave is described by the equation,
y(x,t)=(2 m) sin[(174.5 s -1)t - (22.44 m-1) x]. What is the frequency,wave's period, wavelength, and wave speed?

Homework Equations

v=wavelength * f= wavelength/T

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that 174.5 is the frequency. That is all that I know that could be correct. Could somebody please throw some more equations my way and possibly give me some hints. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
174.5 is more likely to be an angular frequency... you should be able to relate that to regular frequency and period quite easily. your relevant equations should take care of the rest

I would approach this problem by first identifying the given variables and their units. In this case, we have y (position, in meters), x (position, in meters), t (time, in seconds), frequency (in hertz), wavelength (in meters), and wave speed (in meters per second).

Next, I would look at the given equation and try to identify any patterns or relationships between the variables. In this case, we can see that the wave is sinusoidal, with a maximum amplitude of 2 meters. The frequency, given by the coefficient in front of t, is 174.5 s^-1. This means that the wave oscillates 174.5 times per second.

We can also see that the coefficient in front of x, 22.44 m^-1, represents the wavelength. This means that the distance between two consecutive peaks or troughs of the wave is 22.44 meters.

Using the equations v = fλ and T = 1/f, we can find the wavelength and period of the wave. The wavelength is simply 22.44 meters, and the period is 1/174.5 s^-1, which is approximately 0.0057 seconds.

To find the wave speed, we can use the equation v = λf. Substituting in our values for wavelength and frequency, we get v = (22.44 m)(174.5 s^-1) = 3915.3 m/s.

In summary, the frequency of the wave is 174.5 Hz, the period is approximately 0.0057 seconds, the wavelength is 22.44 meters, and the wave speed is 3915.3 m/s. I hope this helps!

Related to Transverse wave problem. It's a doozy

1. What is a transverse wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave in which the disturbance or oscillation is perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation. This means that the particles of the medium are moving up and down or side to side, rather than in the same direction as the wave is traveling.

2. How do you solve a transverse wave problem?

To solve a transverse wave problem, you will need to use the wave equation, which relates the wave speed, wavelength, and frequency of the wave. You will also need to consider the properties of the medium, such as its density and elasticity. By plugging in the given values and using the appropriate equations, you can solve for the unknown variables in the problem.

3. What are some common examples of transverse waves?

Some common examples of transverse waves include electromagnetic waves, such as light and radio waves, as well as water waves and seismic S-waves. These waves all exhibit a perpendicular oscillation of particles to the direction of wave propagation.

4. What is the difference between a transverse wave and a longitudinal wave?

The main difference between a transverse wave and a longitudinal wave is the direction of particle oscillation. In a transverse wave, the particles move perpendicular to the direction of wave propagation, while in a longitudinal wave, the particles move parallel to the direction of wave propagation. Additionally, the wave speed, wavelength, and frequency equations are different for these two types of waves.

5. How does amplitude affect a transverse wave?

The amplitude of a transverse wave is the maximum displacement of particles from their equilibrium position. It is directly related to the energy and intensity of the wave, with larger amplitudes corresponding to higher energy and intensity. This means that a larger amplitude transverse wave will have a greater impact on the medium and will be more easily detected by an observer.